Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bunch of questions!

Default bunch of questions!

hey everyone! this question is many-parted!

1) my LO is almost 7 months and is in daycare 2x a week. I pump but can't seem to figure out how much I should put in a bottle. He's never really liked bottles, so I don't know if he's full or doesn't want the bottle anymore when he stops drinking and starts fussing. How much bm should he be having in a bottle at this age? I was putting 5 ounces in each bottle, and he used to be pretty good at finishing it. Now that he's started solids he seems to be fine with only 4ounces, and sometimes he doesn't even finish that!

2) I have old frozen milk in my freezer. Like from September/October - on the bottom most level - still very frozen. My fridge is one of those half/half ones. Do I need to throw out that milk? sniff sniff. We're trying to use it but there's so much and I am feeling so guilty about having to throw it out.

3) I've read a lot of places that you shouldn't reheat breastmilk, but I've also read that you can re-heat it at least once. Which is right? And if its frozen breastmilk that was defrosted and heated once before, is it ok to reheat it once again? I know what's 'recommended' but what is really OK?

4) At 7 months, do babies still need to nurse every 3 hours? We've been on this schedule ever since DS was born, and I'm starting to wonder if it still needs to this often - especially now that he's starting solids.

5) Last question! Thanks for getting this far! I go to the office 2x a week and work from home the other days - I pump every day during the day (I have a nanny for the days hat I'm at home). I used to be able to pump a lot of milk, but since I've gotten back into the office (just started back in Jan), it seems I pump a lot less. I nurse DS in the morning right before I leave for work (630am), and then pump first thing when I get into the office (7am). Then I pump at 10am and 1pm before heading home and pumping again at 4pm. Each pumping session is less than the first. It is really stressing me out! Its the same pattern every day. I drink tons of water, pump both sides, and try to relax. Any tips? Suggestions? also, its ok to combine freshly pumped milk with refrigerated milk pumped earlier in the day, right?

6) oops I just thought of one more thing. DS got his bottom 2 teeth a few weeks ago, and bites me! Any tips on how to teach him not to bite? It sure if painful!

Thanks so much everyone!

thanks in advance!
    ~kathy

Default Re: bunch of questions!

I can't answer all of these but will be looking back to see some anwsers b/c we are in a similar boat! my lo is 8 months and seems to take less bm during the day while i am away since he has some solids which is good b/c it was tough to keep up with him for awhile! my pump amount decreased too. i think it just happens b/c the pump isn't the baby, you know? i've seen most people answer this on here by saying to add another session in if you can ( i can't unfortunately)
    i also have seen the replies on here about adding the fresh into refrigerated and i am pretty sure they've said it's not the best idea. but if i'm wrong someone will come and correct me. also, for the frozen check this link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html
    actually that site can answer a lot of your questions!
    as far as the teeth, we still have none, so i have no advice. i'll be asking YOU for some soon probably!

Quote Originally Posted by tyler'smommy View Post
    hey everyone! this question is many-parted!

1) my LO is almost 7 months and is in daycare 2x a week. I pump but can't seem to figure out how much I should put in a bottle. He's never really liked bottles, so I don't know if he's full or doesn't want the bottle anymore when he stops drinking and starts fussing. How much bm should he be having in a bottle at this age? I was putting 5 ounces in each bottle, and he used to be pretty good at finishing it. Now that he's started solids he seems to be fine with only 4ounces, and sometimes he doesn't even finish that!

2) I have old frozen milk in my freezer. Like from September/October - on the bottom most level - still very frozen. My fridge is one of those half/half ones. Do I need to throw out that milk? sniff sniff. We're trying to use it but there's so much and I am feeling so guilty about having to throw it out.

3) I've read a lot of places that you shouldn't reheat breastmilk, but I've also read that you can re-heat it at least once. Which is right? And if its frozen breastmilk that was defrosted and heated once before, is it ok to reheat it once again? I know what's 'recommended' but what is really OK?

4) At 7 months, do babies still need to nurse every 3 hours? We've been on this schedule ever since DS was born, and I'm starting to wonder if it still needs to this often - especially now that he's starting solids.

5) Last question! Thanks for getting this far! I go to the office 2x a week and work from home the other days - I pump every day during the day (I have a nanny for the days hat I'm at home). I used to be able to pump a lot of milk, but since I've gotten back into the office (just started back in Jan), it seems I pump a lot less. I nurse DS in the morning right before I leave for work (630am), and then pump first thing when I get into the office (7am). Then I pump at 10am and 1pm before heading home and pumping again at 4pm. Each pumping session is less than the first. It is really stressing me out! Its the same pattern every day. I drink tons of water, pump both sides, and try to relax. Any tips? Suggestions? also, its ok to combine freshly pumped milk with refrigerated milk pumped earlier in the day, right?

6) oops I just thought of one more thing. DS got his bottom 2 teeth a few weeks ago, and bites me! Any tips on how to teach him not to bite? It sure if painful!

Thanks so much everyone!

thanks in advance!
    ~kathy
    1. What you're describing sounds pretty normal, really. Following his hunger/fullness cues are the best way to tell if he's getting enough.

2. Before you make the decision to toss it, you can try rotating through that stock, and sending some of it to daycare for him. Or consider using it when making foods for baby - I've heard of it being used in cereal, oatmeal, muffins, pancakes, etc. If you're unsure of it because of the date, try the sniff test - you'll definitely know if it's too late to use!

3. Once a bottle has touched baby's lips, it should be used within about an hour. Bacteria contamination can start as soon as baby's lips touch it. If baby's lips haven't touched the bottle nipple, then you might have some more time. Every mother's milk is different, and even the milk pumped at different times by the same mother can be different, so there are no specific rules. You have to use your best judgement.

4. If baby is still giving signs that he's hungry, then he needs to nurse. Some babies can go longer between sessions, some can't. Only you and he will be able to tell.

5. What kind of pump are you using? You can try playing with the pump settings, see if you letdown better for more or less suction, faster or slower suction.

You can combine freshly pumped milk with refrigerated milk, but some authorities suggest that you refrigerate both first, and combine them once they are the same temp. The reasoning behind this is also bacterial contamination - adding warm milk to cool milk raises the temp of the cool milk, making a better environment for bacteria to grow.

6. Lots and lots of biting tips here: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html and more here: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBdental.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

thanks! what if I change the nipple on the bottle? Is it still only good for one hour? I could have sworn I read somewhere before that breastmilk that wasn't finished could be reheated one more time!

smell test? all my frozen milk always has had a weird metallic-y soapy smell. Is that the bad smell? or am I looking for a BAD milk smell?

thanks for the links!

I think the milk is good for at least 24 hours after baby drinks from the bottle, due to the antibacterial properties of BM. The "within an hour" recommendation was based on formula (IMO, research, and experience).

I think he should drink however much he wants to drink from the bottle. It makes sense that he would be drinking less BM as he is getting older. In my experience and informal research, I think BF babies never really drink "more" BM as they get older. The composition of the milk just adjusts to their needs. My DD never drank more than 3-4 oz at a time (once we found a good slow-flow bottle).

And once they are doing solids, it will probably still hover around the same amount or less. Plus, like my DD, he may be figuring out that he prefers mom over the bottle (yay!) and saving his appetite for when you are around.

I wouldn't stress about the amount you are pumping. From what you are saying, it sounds like you're pumping more than he's drinking, right (you have stash that's not being used)?? So, why stress?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler'smommy View Post
    thanks! what if I change the nipple on the bottle? Is it still only good for one hour? I could have sworn I read somewhere before that breastmilk that wasn't finished could be reheated one more time!

smell test? all my frozen milk always has had a weird metallic-y soapy smell. Is that the bad smell? or am I looking for a BAD milk smell?

thanks for the links!
    Even changing the nipple on the bottle may not reduce bacterial exposure, due to the fact that bacteria can migrate down from the bottle nipple and into the bottle itself. Some babies also "backwash" into the bottle, allowing bacteria into the bottle.

There are many different recommendations for the use of expressed breast milk - it's entirely possible that you read that somewhere. Different researchers have different opinions. Here's what LLL has to say: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html and http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html.

The smell you're describing sounds like a normal expressed milk smell. Some mothers say it smells sweet, others say it smells kinda like soap. The container you're using to store the milk can also alter the smell of it. A bad smell is a sour milk smell, something really bad.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!