Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't pump regularly when returning to work

Default Can't pump regularly when returning to work

I have gotten great advice from all you mommies so far, so here's another situation/story:

I am due in June and will be going back to work in late Aug. Baby #2 will be between 8-10 wks when I return to work. I cannot pump at regular times during the day (won't be able to do every 3-4 hours as suggested), but will have breaks 3 or 4 days out of the work week - each day the break is at a different time. If I can't pump at the same time each day (and maybe not at all one day a week) is it worth trying to pump? I'm considering night feeding and reversing my baby's schedule for as long as I can handle nursing during the night. With my first baby, I stopped pumping when he was 9 months and could still feed him morning, evening, night and weekends with no trouble. But will it be very different with a younger baby?

Any advice would be helpful! Or a bump from another thread? Thanks!

Default Re: Can't pump regularly when returning to work

Hi,

I think it is worth trying to pump whenever you can. It will help your supply and help you avoid plugged ducts. I am worried about the latter for you.

Your baby might reverse cycle on her own just to get more time with you, so don't worry too much about getting on that schedule before you go back to work. Hope that helps and congrats on the new little one on the way!

Thanks for the advice - we'll see how it goes!

How many hours are you going to be gone?

When I first went back to work I was working a 10 hour shift which meant I was gone at least 11-12 hours every day. I was not always able to pump during my shift. When I was able to pump I never knew from day to day what time I might be able to sneak away. I tried to do it around the same time every day, but that wasnt always possible.

I just made sure that I pumped before I left the house and pumped after work every day.

Most days I pump 1/2 way through my shift and then at the end again.

This has worked great for us for the past 6 months.
    Carol
    Proud mom to,
    Cassi 5/17/85
    Carlie 3/16/96

The Twinzillas
    Camryn 8/17/06
    Carson 8/17/06
    & their Shadow
    Caitlyn 4/22/07

Hi eelme it sounds like you have a good milk supply. i was amazed to find that, though i couldn't pump the same time everyday, i still got good results from pumping after work or when i could. if i ate and drank right, my body adjusted well. do pump when you can.
    all the best

pumping takes some practice too...
    You'll figure out what workes best for you and baby.
    lots of moms combo feed, and that works well for them.
    breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing...

any milk you pump is worth it for the milk and the confort. hope it goes well
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!