Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preemie, Bottle fed breast milk... is this to much?!

Default Preemie, Bottle fed breast milk... is this to much?!

my 33week preemie is taking 3oz of expressed breast milk every three hours. She is only 5 weeks! (38 weeks gestation) Is she eating to much?! Can she eat to much?

Im just concerned because i was reading a previous post and seeing that you feed your 2/3mo olds 3oz!

I have to admit im not sure how this preemie thing really works, as far as adjusted ages and what not go.

TIA!!
    Melissa

Default Re: Preemie, Bottle fed breast milk... is this to much?!

I'm not sure how it works with preemies, but it seems to me that the feeding pattern for babies who are fed EBM is a little different than babies who actually nurse... Our little guy was eating 4 ounces EBM per bottle for the first couple of months, and now he's 4 months old eating 6 ounces EBM per bottle (5-6 bottles a day). It all seems to add up to basically the right amount, just the pattern is a bit different. Maybe I'm not doing things right either, but it seems right for him. I would say go with your instinct. If your baby is gaining weight and the diapers seem good, and as long as she is not spitting up a lot after feedings, it's probably an okay amount.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

My son is 4 months old and eats 4 ounces of EBM every 2-3 hours... he was a preemie born at 35 weeks.
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

Even if baby is taking too much, fat on breastmilk is much better than fat on formula (according to my LC)

MoMmY316 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

every baby is diffrent id say just go with the flow! the worst that would happen is she'd spit up!! i learned everything isnt and dosnt have to be by the text book!

Have you seen this link?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

It might be helpful to know that since your milk changes to meet your babies needs, often a baby will take about the same amount of milk the entire time she takes a bottle. There are ebbs and flows of course, but you do not need to keep adding and adding the amount of breast milk like you need to for formula.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!