Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: preparing for "beyond one"

Default preparing for "beyond one"

I have a question about nursing beyone one since I will be at that point with my twins in about a month.

I currently pump 2x a work (about 20 ounces) and my freezer is full of EBM. When I am at work the girlies each take 0-8 ounces of EBM daily. We co-sleep if they wake up (they usually do several times each, but every now and then I get lucky and a little friend sleeps through the night) and they nurse back to sleep. I would like to pump once or even "nonce" once we hit the year mark. I am not really worried about the days I work since I have plenty of EBM in the freezer, but when I am home with them, how will I know whether I need to give bottles of EBM or cow's milk? Or will I have enough on my days off to just keep nursing?

Oh, and in case it is important, I work every other day (ie M, W, F, then T, Th the next week).

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!

Default Re: preparing for "beyond one"

I weaned from my pump at work over a couple of weeks. I started with one session and gradually moved it later over a few days. I too have a lot of frozen EBM. My DD won't have cow's milk until my stash is gone. (BTW, I pump one side when she nurses the other every morning. So, I still have fresh EBM in the fridge.)

I nurse on demand on the weekends and haven't noticed any change in supply as of yet. (I work M-Th.)

HTH!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

From my experience, appetite and interest for nursing can change day to day. Your body can adapt!

Probably don't offer them a bottle when you're home with them. You'll have enough milk on the days you don't work for babies that age.

No advice...just saw your post and wanted to say congats on nursing twins beyond one year

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

Great job!

You could probably do a search of old threads. There have been threads in the past where mothers pump weaned at a year and continued to bf. They have said that they did have enough milk to nurse on their days off. The only issue was that sometimes they would feel full their first day back to work after a weekend of nursing.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

no advice, but again just wanted to say well done on getting to one and still nursing twins! plus, just was chuffed to read that it can be done as twins run in my family!

am impressed with nursing twins to at least one year! I too have wanted to wean from the pump at work but am not there yet. I don't have a huge stash in the freezer so I can't at this point. But I have heard and read that you can slowly wean from the pump (over time to prevent engorgement and infections) and still nurse on demand with your child!

Best Wishes!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I work Monday to Friday and sometimes away fro 12 hours, but never really got into pumping at work - the supply just seemed to adapt so there would be enough at weekends and I would still be comfortable in the week. I suspect if you gradually reduced pumping in the day, you would adapt, and after 1 cows milk is fine unless allergies are a problem