Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In the market for a pump..

Red face In the market for a pump..

And want to avoid a painful mistake. Any recommendations for a pump that is good to use with larger then average nipples?

Default Re: In the market for a pump..

As usual, Medela Pump In Style models are probably the best in the market. Medela also has different flang sizes that would fit different nipple sizes. Good luck

Thumbs up Re: In the market for a pump..

Ameda's Purely Yours has been a great pump for me so far (3x/day M-F 6 weeks). The set up I got came with the pump and parts, a cooler, 6 bottles, and an inconspicuous bag that holds everything. If standard flanges aren't comfortable, Ameda makes large or extra large flanges. The pump has a great design that keeps moisture from getting into the tubing and the price was right! Thanks to the mommies in the old work and breastfeeding forumn who introduced me to it!

I also use Medela Pump In Style and have been pumping for 8 months. Initially I used it 4x a day 5 days a week for 5 months. But I got tired of bringing it back and forth to work so I rented a hospital grade for the office. I thought I would see a difference in the performance but I was surprised that I didn't. I use it every morning before work and on the weekends if the kids are with the grandparents.
    I had to buy the XL flanges and have no pain or discomfort.
    I also got the battery pack for the PIS and I haven't used it much but it has been a life saver. Power is out, on the road, no outlets etc...
    This link might help you decide what type is best for you.[URL="http://www.breastfeeding.com/workingmom/suggestions.html"]

Goodluck.

Hi! I have large nipples, I'm suprised my kids were able to latch on so well...
    The Medela PIS worked very, very well for me. I didn't have any problems with it.
    Well, I did have one problem.....
    I was sanitizing the tubes and placed them in the microwave (in the sterilization bags) and I accidentally left them in too long and melted them!! Medela overnighted new tubes to me, and were very pleasant about the whole thing.
    They get 5 thumbs up from me!!

Default RE: In the market for a pump..

I use the Ameda Purely Yours pump. I am pleased with it. It costed me $50.00 less than the Medela. I like the cooler case...which is great for storing my milk at work all day. I can leave it in my office and don't need to use the office refrigerator. And the one I bought comes with a car adaptor, AC adaptor, or can be run on batteries. So you can use it about anywhere! it also comes with a nice carry bag which can be carried or used as a backpack. Mine also came with a manual pump (in case you need a backup). And as Hip Mama said, they do make different flange sizes.