Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He's being wierd...

Unhappy He's being wierd...

My DS is 11 weeks tomorrow, and he's been nursing and gaining like a champ. For the past week or so, though, he won't nurse as long (maybe getting more efficient), and most feedings he'll nurse well for only like 5 minutes, then pull and twist or let go and smile then play around. He's also slept through the night 3 times this week. I feel like he really nurses well two, maybe three times per day anymore.
    My concern with all this is that with him not at the breast as much that my milk supply will dwindle, or that maybe it already has, and that's why he's acting strange (I've noticed that my once leaky breasts don't leak anymore, either). Is this normal? Is he just going through an adjustment? Or am I screwing this up (or did I already)? I'm nervous!

Default Re: He's being wierd...

I remember when things slowed down for us a bit, it happened a few different time and only then did I realize that we had just gone through a growth spurt.

How is diaper output? The same? How many times would you say he nurses both long and short sessions? Does he seem content otherwise, is there other different behavior besides sleeping through the night?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Oooo, I completely forgot to mention that with all of this he's also been sucking his fists like crazy, and completely refusing his pacifier. And at the start of all this, I would nurse him, thinking that maybe he was hungry, but he just pulls and twists, smiles and laughs - just screws around, or gets really upset, sucks his fist, then falls asleep. I don't know, it's just strange. His wet output is just fine, but the poop has dwindled down to 1 (stinkY!) one each day or so. I fear that I would miss a cue that he's actually hungry and I'm starving him (slightly irrational, yes, but somewhat true).

Its usually around the 3 month point that your supply regulates to match that of your lo, AND your lo becomes much more efficient at removing milk. My lo's never nursed for longer than 10 minutes unless they were nursing to sleep--but their tummies are often full in 5. I don't think its uncommon.

Its also not uncommon for your breasts to start leaking less and less. Continue to watch diaper output and if that is okay, and weight gain continues at a normal rate, you're okay.

Good job, mama!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

When my daughter was teething a couple months ago, she did that fist knawing thing for about 2 weeks straigh, never sleeping more than an hour or so, didn't want to nurse, just eat on her hands. Then, two teeth popped out and we slept again.

Sounds like y'all are doing great!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

IMO your supply has adjusted to you lo's needs. They don't leak because your lo is emptying them adequatly. Don't worry about your baby acting funny. If he is gaining weight then you are doing a great job! They all do goofy things! Relax and hang in there!