Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Medela Freestyle Breastpump?

Default Medela Freestyle Breastpump?

I know this pump is fairly new, but had wanted to know if anyone has tried this breastpump? What do you think? Any ideas as to where to purchase?

Default Re: Medela Freestyle Breastpump?

I called Add A Little Love.com to see about this and they said the pump was just released on Friday and that they would have the particulars probably today. I got my last pump from them and am expecting again and will get another at the same place.

I have been using this pump for several months (I was one of the mom's who got to test it). I love it. If you are exclusively pumping, it may not be powerful enough. It is not as strong as the Symphony but worked great for me. I have the PIS Adv and chose to use this one exclusively from the day I got it. It is really portable and will hook up on your waist w/ the attachments you can do a lot while pumping. I mainly used it at work. I only was pumping twice a day (and now once) as my son is now a year old and nurses also. I like it for the ease of use and lightweight. BTW, I pumped the about the same amount of milk from this pump as my PIS Adv, which is slightly less than I could from the Symphony.

Hope that helps.

Susan

Smile Re: Medela Freestyle Breastpump?

I got the Freestyle last week and it is working well. I really like how portable it is. There are so many different features on it so I had to get a little help from the LC I bought it from at Add A Little Love online's store and everything is running smoothly. I find that I get about as much as I did with the Symphony rental unit. I also find that I relax more because of the hands-free thing.

I'm so glad you like it. I was contemplating buying it. I am currently using my friends PIS. I'm trying to rationalize this purchase considering there is nothing wrong with the pump I am borrowing, but it looks so much more convenient! Would like more feedback from anyone else who has purchased or used it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbgicking View Post
    I have been using this pump for several months (I was one of the mom's who got to test it). I love it. If you are exclusively pumping, it may not be powerful enough. It is not as strong as the Symphony but worked great for me. I have the PIS Adv and chose to use this one exclusively from the day I got it. It is really portable and will hook up on your waist w/ the attachments you can do a lot while pumping. I mainly used it at work. I only was pumping twice a day (and now once) as my son is now a year old and nurses also. I like it for the ease of use and lightweight. BTW, I pumped the about the same amount of milk from this pump as my PIS Adv, which is slightly less than I could from the Symphony.

Hope that helps.

Susan
    How did you get to be a tester?

I'm an EP and would love to have that new freestyle pump, but I really can't justify it since I've been using my PISA for a year now and it still functions fine. How much do the freestyles go for? Maybe I can get one when #2 is on the way.

I purchased my Freestyle from www.milksmile.com and love it. I previously used the Medela PIS, and planned to continue using it with baby #2 when I saw the Freestyle, which came out just before I went back to work after my maternity leave. I hesitated to make this purchase b/c my PIS worked just fine, and I really wasn't sure if the new model justified the expense of purchasing a second pump. I called the folks at milksmile.com, and they were incredibly helpful, letting me know the features of the pump and giving me "real world" feedback on the pump, including the advantages over the PIS (I also liked that this was a real person who I could follow-up with for any needs I develop as I'm using the pump). I've been using the pump for just over a month now (3x a day), and it's so nice. The little things are well thought-out, like the timer on the unit and the hands-free straps.

In sum, I do think it was worth getting even though I already had the PIS. First, while I don't think the two-phase expression technology is essential, it is a nice feature. I also think the pump overall is a little more gentle, for lack of a better term, while still expressing the same amount or more milk than I got from the PIS. I LOVE the battery-powered operation so I don't need to plug in (especially when pumping just before going to bed), and it's much lighter and more portable than my PIS. Overall, it was money well-spent and I'd definitely make the purchase a second time.
    Last edited by Shan; March 25th, 2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Add detail regarding use v. PIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    I purchased my Freestyle from www.milksmile.com and love it. I previously used the Medela PIS, and planned to continue using it with baby #2 when I saw the Freestyle, which came out just before I went back to work after my maternity leave. I hesitated to make this purchase b/c my PIS worked just fine, and I really wasn't sure if the new model justified the expense of purchasing a second pump. I called the folks at milksmile.com, and they were incredibly helpful, letting me know the features of the pump and giving me "real world" feedback on the pump, including the advantages over the PIS (I also liked that this was a real person who I could follow-up with for any needs I develop as I'm using the pump). I've been using the pump for just over a month now (3x a day), and it's so nice. The little things are well thought-out, like the timer on the unit and the hands-free straps.

In sum, I do think it was worth getting even though I already had the PIS. First, while I don't think the two-phase expression technology is essential, it is a nice feature. I also think the pump overall is a little more gentle, for lack of a better term, while still expressing the same amount or more milk than I got from the PIS. I LOVE the battery-powered operation so I don't need to plug in (especially when pumping just before going to bed), and it's much lighter and more portable than my PIS. Overall, it was money well-spent and I'd definitely make the purchase a second time.
    Thanks for the info! I EP and have been using my PISA which I LOVE, but have always had a hard time ever making a schedule and/or getting enough pumping sessions in. My LO is, how should I say it, a high needs child! Right now I'm anxiously waiting for our tax refund to purchase a freestyle. I basically have been feeling the same way you described, is it really worth it when I already have a perfectly good PISA? Reading your post just makes me that much more excited to get the new pump. I think for me being hands free and portable will make a huge difference! Thanks for posting!

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I'm planning on purchasing from http://addalittlelove.com/index.html
    Their price for a Freestyle is only $285! I've never ordered from them before, but they are listed on Medela's site as a authorized medela dealer. HTH!

This looks really cool -- if anyone else is going to get this please post back with how it works for you. I'll probably get one next time around (ds is 21 months now so not sure how long I'll really be pumping for him). Thanks

I ordered mine on Monday from addalittlelove.com. I EP for my twin girls right now, so I hope it will keep up. I'm not giving up my Symphony just yet though. I'll post back a couple days after it arrives to let you know what I think.