Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am ready for my affair to be over...

Default I am ready for my affair to be over...

I was just wondering....

I am contining to nurse DS who is 13 mo... I plan on continuing nursing. I'm not sure how long... He enjoys it too much and I really don't mind. Anyway, the part that I do mind is the pumping! Ugh! It's so annoying!

Even though he doesn't really need it during the day, he drinks 4 oz of EBM at daycare. I know I could give him water, but ehhh. I drop DS off at daycare about 8 am and pick him up at 530 pm. I usually pump in the morning about 8 am and then some time in the afternoon -- anywhere from 3 pm to 5 pm (whenever I get around to it). I usually pump about 6 oz a day. I try not to pump more because he doesn't drink it and my freezer and my moms is full. Anyways, I want to know if and when you moms pump weaned for work but continued nursing? Is that even a possibility for me at this point?

I'm tired of my almost one year affair with my pump and I'm ready for it to be over! However, I don't want to replace breastmilk during the day with cow's milk. I prefer that BM as his main source of fluid nutrition until we are ready to wean.

Any of your input is appreciate!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Default Re: I am ready for my affair to be over...

I think you can definitely pump-wean at this point and still be able to nurse w/o any difficulty.

Since your freezer is full, consider going down to only one pump per day for a while - I'd split the difference and pump right before or after lunch - then use your stash to make up the difference. If you continue to nurse while together, there should be no reason to supplement w/ cow's milk (esp if he is getting additional calcium through other sources like cheese and yogurt), so you could probably pump wean altogether and just give water during the day when your stash runs out.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I have, in the past, pump weaned when baby was probably 9-10 months. I was only pumping a bit, though, and I just stopped. At 12-13 months, my guys have all been eating well enough that I didn't mind them not getting breastmilk while I was away from them. They could eat enough solids, and we would make up for any skipped feedings later And we nursed for another almost year after that
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

You can stop pumping at a year old and it won't affect your supply when you're with your baby. As long as he's nursing 3-4 times a day he won't need a substitute milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for all the words of wisdom! I am away from DS M-F 8 am to 530 pm. If I pump wean and I am with him on the weekends or when I take off from work, he will want to nurse during the hours. Will I have enough milk for him?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Yep, it'll be fine. Hang up those horns!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos