Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: problems.. Helo

Default problems.. Helo

My Son is 3 weeks the last week when he is feeding usually at night time he will start crying and pulling away then he finds the nipple again and attacks it for a few seconds then he throws himself and crys more... any other time he never crys.. im not full like i was the first 2 weeks.. can you not produce enough milk to satisfy baby? i got to the point where he was so upset i had to give him some formula and he guzzled it right down.. i guess its hard to say everything all at once on here on what he is doing, but i keep getting the same answers and so far its not true.. i was told at first that he was goin thru a growing spur and as he feeds i will make more, that was a week ago and i feel like im maken less now then i was.. pls help im very confused

Default Re: problems.. Helo

When did you start giving him the supplemental bottle? It would make sense that he may have nipple confusion (where the milk is coming out much quicker from the bottle than your breast, therefore, making him angry at the breast), BUT, you say this only happens at night? You don't have as much milk at night as you do during the morning and day. Can you try expressing a couple drops of milk on your nipple first before latching him? Also, when he is latched trying some breast compressions. Gently squeeze your breast so that he will get a jolt of milk. Check kellymom.com for some more info! HTH!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

I went through similar issues with my little one (now 10 months). There were times when he would nurse every hour all day long. I would worry that I wasen't making enough milk. Then he would scream and throw himself around. Sometimes it was because there was too much , other times not enough. I found out that I really needed to relax a little. The more calm I became the more calm he would be. I kept up my fluid intake. ( sometimes very hard to remind yourself to drink when you are so busy) It will work itself out! Hang in there!

If this only happens at night and during the day he is fine, then I wonder if there isn't something else going on...most babies go through fussy periods at night and it starts around 2wks. Sometimes nothing, not even BF, will soothe the baby. It could be he "gobbles" up the formula b/c it is a lot more of an immediate gratification than the breast. Also, our supply is usually at it's lowest in the evenings, but that doesn't mean we need to give formula to compensate...

See if this link gives you info that sounds like your situation: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

You are going through the same thing that all of us have gone through. Just hang in there. Your body will produce just what he needs. I know it may not feel that way when you are tired, confussed, and unsure what to do. It is especialy discouraging at night when all you want to do is sleep. But I can tell you that the more bottles he gets the harder it will be for him to nurse. You see that bottle is easy to feed from and the milk is right there. The breast however, is much harder to get milk from. Not to mention that the latch on is different so he may very well have nipple confusion. In the future, if you feel it neccessary to supplement him try giving it to him through a syringe/dropper or a cup. It gets better mama. I promiss!

i guess im just extra confused, i read the websites and he has all the signs of a forceful letdown too, but i dont feel like im full..

so i should stop with the bottles and just keep workin at breastfeeding... i guess it all makes sence i just dont know where to start ...

Ditch the bottles. They are a slippery slope to nursing failure.

When does your son have trouble with his nursing? Is it in the evenings, or is it all night long? I ask because "evenings-only" colic is VERY common. The baby is tired, you're tired, and your milk supply is a little low- not absent, just a little less than usual! At any rate, that combination of factors can produce a very cranky baby.

You mention that you're not feeling "full" the way you did during your son's first couple of weeks. That is normal. After a while, your body figures out how to make only as much milk as your baby needs, without a lot left over. Feeling less full is also really common during a growth spurt, because a growing baby feeds more frequently and drains the breast more thoroughly.

So long as your baby is having the right number of poops and pees, and is growing well (You can take him to the pediatrician for a weight check if you feel concerned), and you aren't in horrible pain, then you can trust your baby to regulate your supply. It is hard in the early weeks, but if you can hang in there, it's going to be sooo easy! You can do it!

I know im new and having problems as well, but i did go through this one and i found if i leaned back in the recliner when she first latched on and my let down happened she was fine, but if she was in the football hold and i wasnt leaning back she would do the exact same as your little one, try leaning back or if you have a reclining chair try leaning it back.
    My pride and joy is my family, my finace, my 9 year old son Jonathan Bengamin and my 4 month old daughter Grace Abigail, they are the greatest things to ever happen to me