Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice, won't finish nursing!

Default Need advice, won't finish nursing!

My lo is 9 mths old and she will only nurse for a few min and then gets down from my lap. If I try to keep her on my lap, she cries. Then a few min later, she wants back up to eat again. She will do this 4-5 times and it is getting old. It takes forever to finish a feeding. I also end up feeding her more times cause she is still hungry from not finishing. Is there anyway I can get her to stop snacking in this way? I really don't want to feed her for so long and so many extra times. It sure makes it hard to get anything done or go anywhere!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Need advice, won't finish nursing!

Quote Originally Posted by abaker89 View Post
    My lo is 9 mths old and she will only nurse for a few min and then gets down from my lap. If I try to keep her on my lap, she cries. Then a few min later, she wants back up to eat again. She will do this 4-5 times and it is getting old. It takes forever to finish a feeding. I also end up feeding her more times cause she is still hungry from not finishing. Is there anyway I can get her to stop snacking in this way? I really don't want to feed her for so long and so many extra times. It sure makes it hard to get anything done or go anywhere!
    What came to mind instantly was location: nurse in a very boring setting if you're not already.

She could also just be very efficient.

My ds does this frequently, especially before bed. He's just ready to go. I worry that he'll wake up hungry. He's sleeping through the night, though, so I guess my worries are unfounded. What I find confusing is that he won't finish one side, act totally disinterested in nursing, so I'll switch and see if he wants the other side, and he's all about it. (Sound familiar?) I don't know. We're still sorting this new thing out as well...

What are all of her eating habits like? How often does she nurse? Can you describe her solid intake? Do you nurse before/after/both solids?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Hi,
    Sounds like distractable baby syndrome to me. I agree about nursing in an unexciting area or darkened quiet room. Some babies really just get so worried they will miss something they don't want to stop and nurse. Does this sound like it might be the case? Here is some boring personal information. When my baby was 9 mo he was doing the same thing. I just let him nurse longer for his naps and sort of hung out with out a blouse on. That way if he was hungry he could come have a snack and be on his way.

We nurse on the sofa in the living room, not boring, but where we have always done most of her feedings. I will try a dark room, what do you do if they try to fall asleep?? Prior to this change, she was nursing 6 times a day, four of those feedings lasted 30-40 min and two were right before her naps and lasted less than 5 min, just to relax her before I put her down.

She has reflux and we have been off and on solids for the last month. Right now she isn't getting any though her GI said to try rice again and see how she does. She is happy just on breastmilk so we are taking it slow. I understand that they can become real efficient but he keeps wanting it back and gets a lot more milk so I don't think she is emptying it. I do offer the other side and try and switch back and forth and that helps a bit. You are correct, she acts totally uninterested in the one she was just on!

I can try and let her get more at naps but I don't let her fall completely asleep at my breast. If I do, she only naps for 30 min, after months of dealing with this, if I put her down awake, she often sleeps longer.

If you have any other idea, I am all ears, thanks again!!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

My 10 month old son does the same thing. I know that he is really efficient, so he doesn't need long to eat anyway, but he does like to stop and take breaks to look around. I just keep reminding myself that my daughter, who was bottle fed, did the same thing when she was eating, so it can't be a breastfed thing. Although, I try to explain to him that if he would take a bottle (he has refused for about the last 7 months), that he would be able to look around and eat at the same time, but he just doesn't get it! I will allow him to do it a few times. If I try to put him back on 2-3 times and he is still not interested, then I stop offering. He usually doesn't ask again. He does get solids, though, so if he gets hungry later, he usually just gets a snack. I agree with the nursing in a boring place. It should really cut down on the distractability. Good luck!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by abaker89 View Post
    We nurse on the sofa in the living room, not boring, but where we have always done most of her feedings. I will try a dark room, what do you do if they try to fall asleep?? Prior to this change, she was nursing 6 times a day, four of those feedings lasted 30-40 min and two were right before her naps and lasted less than 5 min, just to relax her before I put her down.

She has reflux and we have been off and on solids for the last month. Right now she isn't getting any though her GI said to try rice again and see how she does. She is happy just on breastmilk so we are taking it slow. I understand that they can become real efficient but he keeps wanting it back and gets a lot more milk so I don't think she is emptying it. I do offer the other side and try and switch back and forth and that helps a bit. You are correct, she acts totally uninterested in the one she was just on!

I can try and let her get more at naps but I don't let her fall completely asleep at my breast. If I do, she only naps for 30 min, after months of dealing with this, if I put her down awake, she often sleeps longer.

If you have any other idea, I am all ears, thanks again!!
    We don't get anywhere if we try to nurse in the living room-too distracting for my son. I have to take him to his room and have the shade closed and lights off or dimmed.

I watch and take him off as he's getting sleepy but before he falls asleep. That's really good that you let her fall asleep on her own. He will try to get away with it if I let him-always has!

That switching makes me wonder too if my ds is getting enough hindmilk, or maybe he's trying to up my supply. I don't know. If only he could talk...

I would just change locations and be consistent with it so that it does become the norm. It works.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Sounds super familiar! My lo does the same thing. We have to switch sides so much, we call it "musical boobs" but my lo is really efficient and only eats for a few minutess and then wont need to eat again for 3 hours or so. but when he only wants to nurse 30 seconds . . . it gets frustrating . . . I sure hope it gets better . . . for you and me!