Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

Hi!
    Do you ever notice if baby travels on the nipple while nursing? Like the latch is slipping?
    You are right that it is important to insure the latch is good. If it causes you pain, break the seal with a pinky and relatch.
    I'm interested in what symptoms of thrush you might have had. Can you fill us in more please?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Hi!
    Do you ever notice if baby travels on the nipple while nursing? Like the latch is slipping?
    You are right that it is important to insure the latch is good. If it causes you pain, break the seal with a pinky and relatch.
    I'm interested in what symptoms of thrush you might have had. Can you fill us in more please?

Actually, now that you mention it, sometimes it does seem as though the latch slips. I notice this especially toward the end of a feeding when she is not as focused and it begins to feel a little sore. Generally at that point I take her off.

The symptoms I had in the beginning were cracked, bleeding, scabbed nipples, that were also bright pink. When she would latch on it felt like her mouth was full of needles. Then, usually about 10 minutes after, my whole breast would start to burn. My nipples were so sensitive I couldn't even stand for the towel to touch them out of the shower.

Now, the scabs and cracks have healed for the most part but they are still bright pink. I still have the sore initial latch for about 10 seconds or so, and the sensitivity. When I realize they are hurting after a feed, I look at them and they are white in places (blanching). This is why I am thinking it may not have even been thrush, but maybe just compression from a bad latch.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

hang in there mommy. It takes some of us a lot longer before it gets easier. Some people said 2-4 weeks but definitely by 6 weeks it should be pain free. Well, it took my dd and I almost 2 1/2 months before we were pain free from cracked nipples and 6 months until it truly got easy (we struggled w/clogged ducts & mastitis once we got over the nipple trauma). What helped me was attending LLL meeting. I had gone to numerous LCs w/one on one analysis but they didn't help. Something about a LLL meeting w/all the other mommas and seeing a good latch in person. Once the latch is fixed, expose your nipples to air as much as possible...this really helps them heal faster. My dd will be 1 year in less than 2 weeks and I really can't believe we've come this far. You can too Take it one feeding/day at a time.

"The symptoms I had in the beginning were cracked, bleeding, scabbed nipples, that were also bright pink. When she would latch on it felt like her mouth was full of needles. Then, usually about 10 minutes after, my whole breast would start to burn. My nipples were so sensitive I couldn't even stand for the towel to touch them out of the shower."
    In the beginning, these were my symptoms exactly.

"When I realize they are hurting after a feed, I look at them and they are white in places (blanching)."
    My LC told me that this can be a vessel in the breast siezing, and advised me to put a warm, wet washcloth on my nipple right after feeding to ease it. I did, and it helped.

I think getting a hold of a local Leader and going to a meeting in your area is the BEST idea. It sounds like you are being very very diligent and I am really very impressed with all you are doing. But there is no substitute for ACTUAL mother to mother support and having someone watch what you are doing and physically help you.

Way too lazy for formula

You can do it!

vaso spasms can turn your nipples white, and also cause pain. Having a proper latch will help with this. I agree with calling your local leader.
    How long have you been of meds for thrush now?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    vaso spasms can turn your nipples white, and also cause pain. Having a proper latch will help with this. I agree with calling your local leader.
    How long have you been of meds for thrush now?
    We started with Lotrimin for me and Nystatin for her about four weeks ago. One side seemed to heal up, and the other didn't. Then, we moved on to Dr. Newman's APNO 2 weeks ago, and I saw some improvement for a few days, then back to the same.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I think getting a hold of a local Leader and going to a meeting in your area is the BEST idea. It sounds like you are being very very diligent and I am really very impressed with all you are doing. But there is no substitute for ACTUAL mother to mother support and having someone watch what you are doing and physically help you.
    Yes, I think I should go to a meeting. I looked up the schedule last night and will pick one to go to soon - I am just so ready to get these problems solved so Kaitlyn and I can move on to the next stage!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09

Quote Originally Posted by haven View Post
    In the beginning, these were my symptoms exactly.

My LC told me that this can be a vessel in the breast siezing, and advised me to put a warm, wet washcloth on my nipple right after feeding to ease it. I did, and it helped.
    Thanks - I can't believe you battled this for seven weeks - what a trooper! I have been thinking about trying the gentian violet but didn't want to unless I could confirm that this is, indeed, thrush. Maybe I should just give it a shot regardless. I see my OB on Monday so she might be able to help as well. I do have access to a breastfeeding clinic through the hospital I delivered at - we've been three times to have one-on-one sessions with the LC's. The last visit is where they decided I have thrush.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    11/09