Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    3,092

    Default Waiting for it to get better/easier...

    My LO is 6 weeks old this Sunday and breastfeeding has been such a trial. We've been treated for thrush for the past three weeks (with little relief) but now I am beginning to wonder if the pain is really a persistent latch issue. The other day in my extensive research of latching techniques I read an article that described a different method than I had been using, and tried it. (It basically said to hold the breast with the thumb right up at the base of the nipple, and the other fingers well below the areola. I had been putting them both the same distance from the nipple.) We got two GREAT feedings, with no pain during or after. I thought all our problems were solved! Then all of a sudden at the next feeding we couldn't get it right again. Now my nipples are back to bright pink, they feel like they have been mauled and we can't get a good latch that's entirely comfortable. I am really worried my DD isn't getting enough and I tried to pump after this morning's session, with the intention of either giving it to her after or later tonight, but she was crying so I only got 10 minutes and barely any milk.

    Sorry, just really feeling the frustration today! It seems like things change from one hour to the next. I know I want to keep working on this and figure it out, but I also wonder how much abuse my nipples can take.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,285

    Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

    So sorry to hear you are having a hard time . I don't have any advice as I did not go through the same thing, but I know other mamas on here have and will hopefully come along soon to help. Good luck and hang in there!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...



    Sorry you are having a hard time. I did too at first. I have very flat nipples, so my son's latch was horrible, but with practice he is now a nursing champ. I no longer have sore, pink, BLEEDING nipples. I don't cry anymore from pain. Trust me I will get easier and it becomes so enjoyable. If you have a LC or LLL in your area they can be great help.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long


    Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

    I had such a hard time with my first 2 dd and ds that I quit. I have really flat nipples. I stuck it out and am SOOO Glad that I did. You might want to go to an LLL meeting just to make sure the latch is correct but other than that I was sore for a while. You can do it, you won't have regrets that you stuck it out only regrets that you quit. Keep your head up. It will get easier but I can relate.
    Something that helped give me some relief was changing positions to the football hold and when that got sore I changed back to cradle and then switched and switched. I don't know if that is reccomended but it helped me get through it!!
    Keep your head up and know you are giving that LO the best!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    3,092

    Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

    Quote Originally Posted by hollandperformancehorses View Post


    Sorry you are having a hard time. I did too at first. I have very flat nipples, so my son's latch was horrible, but with practice he is now a nursing champ. I no longer have sore, pink, BLEEDING nipples. I don't cry anymore from pain. Trust me I will get easier and it becomes so enjoyable. If you have a LC or LLL in your area they can be great help.
    I have flat nipples too - which I never knew until the day she was born and we were trying to get her latched on. I always thought they were just fine. Now the right nipple has come out and is huge, and the left is still pretty flat. Do you remember when things started getting easier with the latch? We've been to the hospital's one-on-one breastfeeding clinic three times already (all in the first three weeks), but we may go again next week if we can't figure it out on our own by then.
    Karen

    Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    3,092

    Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

    Quote Originally Posted by 3crazykids View Post
    I had such a hard time with my first 2 dd and ds that I quit. I have really flat nipples. I stuck it out and am SOOO Glad that I did. You might want to go to an LLL meeting just to make sure the latch is correct but other than that I was sore for a while. You can do it, you won't have regrets that you stuck it out only regrets that you quit. Keep your head up. It will get easier but I can relate.
    Something that helped give me some relief was changing positions to the football hold and when that got sore I changed back to cradle and then switched and switched. I don't know if that is reccomended but it helped me get through it!!
    Keep your head up and know you are giving that LO the best!!
    Knowing how much I will regret it if I quit has been a huge factor in making me stick with it! Every time I have been close to quitting I think of how good breastfeeding is for her, and I don't want to take that away from either of us. Maybe I should check out a LLL meeting - hadn't thought of that! Also, I was changing positions early on but stopped that because I was always confused about the football hold, and how her body should be positioned. (i.e. is she flat on her back, or on her side curled around me, or at an angle?)
    Karen

    Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMom View Post
    Knowing how much I will regret it if I quit has been a huge factor in making me stick with it! Every time I have been close to quitting I think of how good breastfeeding is for her, and I don't want to take that away from either of us. Maybe I should check out a LLL meeting - hadn't thought of that! Also, I was changing positions early on but stopped that because I was always confused about the football hold, and how her body should be positioned. (i.e. is she flat on her back, or on her side curled around me, or at an angle?)
    They are so heplful with this I would also see if you have a Lactation Station in your area they can help too. The football hold, hold the LO kind of on their back, under your arm so when you pull them to the breast they are directly on it, it is really the easiest way to get a good latch I think. You can probably find pics on the internet to see how it is done.
    Dont think about the next feeding just think about the current one. It helped me not get overwhelmed.
    Coming here for the support is great! I needed it too! Keep it up and let me know how you are doing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMom View Post
    I have flat nipples too - which I never knew until the day she was born and we were trying to get her latched on. I always thought they were just fine. Now the right nipple has come out and is huge, and the left is still pretty flat. Do you remember when things started getting easier with the latch? We've been to the hospital's one-on-one breastfeeding clinic three times already (all in the first three weeks), but we may go again next week if we can't figure it out on our own by then.
    I started noticing a difference around 2.5 months. But the way that I got my nipples use to it was pumping and using a shield. I used a shield for about 1.5 month, I think, and it really helped get my nipples out and helped him once I weaned him from the shields. Just stick with it. You and your lo WILL get the hang of it soon.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long


    Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    87

    Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

    I know EXACTLY what you are going through.

    Breastfeeding was extremely painful for me in the beginning. I also did extensive research on latching (which is how I found this forum), applied lansinoh constantly, wore breast shells, etc and I still suffered from sore nipples. I went to a private lactation consultant and she confirmed that it looked I was latching correctly but it still hurt. The worst part about the whole ordeal was the feeling that I was failing at breastfeeding, because every thing I read said if it hurts, you are doing it WRONG.

    I wish I could say I did something to fix the problem, but the honest truth is that at 8 weeks, it suddenly stopped hurting. It took a few more weeks for me to stop flinching whenever my son cried to be fed, but from then on it got easier and easier.

    I know this goes against what LC's and doctors say, but I think some women just have extra sensitive nipples that need to be toughened by breastfeeding.
    Sarah
    mommy to Liam, born 2/15/07
    14 months of breastfeeding and counting!

    "The amount of time I spend attached to this machine..." - Officer Danni Sofer on her breast pump, on "The Shield"

    Another cloth convert

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Waiting for it to get better/easier...

    I want to tell you that I battled yeast for 7 weeks. I just cleared up 2 days ago. I was worried my DS wasn't getting enough, as well - so I took him to the local WIC office (they'll weigh the baby whenever), and saw that he had gained 3lb. in 4 weeks!
    My suggestion to you is this. If you are still having yeast symptoms, visit this site http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/thrush.html. What finally cleared me up was the gentian violet and the APNO (all purpose nipple ointment). Whatever you desire to try DO NOT GIVE UP! Find some relief! The yeast made me miserable for a long time. Hopefully, you have your OB and/or a LC to consult with. You need to have one or both on board with you.
    As far as the latch goes, my son had a really shallow latch, and I know it exacerbated the pain with the yeast, but about 4 weeks ago, his mouth seemed to get a little bigger, and the latch got better (he's 11 weeks now).
    You're doing great, and should fell good about how far you've come. Good Luck to you, chin up!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •