Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help--several issues

Default Need some help--several issues

Hope you're ready for me to unload! I will list and discuss 1 issue at a time; however, they may be all related:

1) Foremilk/Hindmilk imbalance: Back in Oct. when ds was about 6 weeks old I noticed some streaking blood in his stools off and on. At the same time, I was noticing that he was having what seemed it could be diarrhea, but I wasn't sure because I wasn't positive what bf stools always looked like. After another month or so of this he began to get increasingly fussy at the breast, so I began to get concerned and started researching what it could be. I got on the LLL web site and found that it could be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance...What we were experiencing sounded identical. Their recommendation in the article was to make sure you empty 1 breast to get to the hindmilk. I had been nursing from both breasts for 15 min. each. Sure enough, once I started nursing from just 1 side, I saw a change in his stools, and he wasn't so fussy when nursing. Well as the little fellow has grown, anytime I feel like he needs to nurse from both sides (making sure to empty at least 1), his stools get loose and blood-streaked again, so I resort back to only using 1 breast at each feeding

2) Still nurses every 2-3 hours: He's now 4-1/2 months old and still nurses that often, although he seems satisfied when he pulls off until 2 hours have passed. I'm afraid it's because I only use 1 breast at each feeding (rotating which breast I use); therefore, he’s not getting enough.

3) Still gets up every 3-4 hours at night: Again, I'm afraid it's because he only nurses from 1 breast per feeding.

4) Pumping for the occasional bottle or to mix with cereal: I'm only able to pump about 2 ounces first thing in the morning, and after that I only get maybe an ounce or less.

His pediatrician does not seem to be concerned about any of this because, ds is growing fine. I'm weary from the 2-hour nursings during the day and still getting up every 3-4 hours at night. Not to mention that I'm concerned about my milk supply. Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks So much!

Default Re: Need some help--several issues

Hey mama, my dd is 6 months old and still nurses every 2-3 hrs. She also wakes up any where from 2-5 times a night. I also never got more that 2-3 oz per breast when pumping. It all sounds normal to me. FTR most pediatricians know very little about bf. They tend not to support it either. But you and DS are just fine and as normal as the rest of us.

I must admit I feel so much better now! I'm SO relieved that I'm normal! I'm fortunate in that my pediatrician is supportive of breastfeeding as he is the father of 6 breastfed children; however, he just hasn't been able to give me much advice.

I just can't figure how to pump enough to even make 1 bottle a day! Any advice there? I've tried pumping in the morning on the opposite side of the breast nursed last, and that's when I get the 2 ounces. Any later in the day and I only get 1 ounce or less. Also, it seems that if I pump too often he's more hungry as if he's not getting enough. I thought pumping would stimulate production, but I don't want to end up with oversupply problems, too.

I started the cereal a week or so ago because he was nursing every 1.5 hours and was still fussy between feedings. The ped was supportive, and I made it clear to him that it was my original intent to wait until he was 6 months old to start it. He was fine with that, and I told him I'd wait until DS is 6 months to start any other solids.

Thanks so much for your support!

I think if you are pumping 2 ounces in the a.m. in addition to breastfeeding full time, you're doing great! It takes me several days to get enough for one bottle, because I don't pump very often. As far as your production, it sounds just right to me... I don't see any problems. For pumping, I also get more first thing in the morning, in the afternoons, sometimes I don't have a letdown at all. I just don't worry about it. If dd is happy,then so am I! It helps, when you're pumping, to put a warm blanket or something over your chest (I heat up a bag full of corn... sounds wierd I know) and that helps with let down... I also try not to look at how much I'm getting... it tends to just stress me out.

I have a 4 month old (18 weeks) and he still nurses on one side only. No cereal or solids yet - just breastmilk - but he only nurses on one side.

When i offer the other side, he'll sometimes take it - mostly not. But if he nurses on both, he usually spits up....when he nurses on one side, he doesn't.

I work at home, no pumping or bottles yet - but he nurses ever 2 hrs or so....depending. Sometimes he'll just want a quick snack, and other times he'll fall asleep w/ it - so it really depends how much he takes in a feeding.

He sleeps between 7pm - 6am....and doesn't "wake up" - just stirs enough to let me know he's hungry.....and nighttime nursing is about every 3-4 hours....so it's something like this: 7pm while putting him to sleep, 10pm, 2am and then 6am....something like that. We cosleep - so it doesn't bother my sleeping or anything - it's fine.

I didn't know if he was getting enough or not - but he's about 17 lbs now (he was born at 7 lb 13 oz) so the pedi actually said to cut out nighttime nursing....but LO likes it - and i like it - so we're not cutting it out.

Anyhow, HTH!

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.

Quote Originally Posted by elagantabyss View Post
    Hey mama, my dd is 6 months old and still nurses every 2-3 hrs. She also wakes up any where from 2-5 times a night. I also never got more that 2-3 oz per breast when pumping. It all sounds normal to me. FTR most pediatricians know very little about bf. They tend not to support it either. But you and DS are just fine and as normal as the rest of us.

We have similar babies. My son is almost 4 months and is the same way.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

I didn't read everyone;s replies but dont worry about the one side thing. I had foremilk hindmilk imbalance with my lo and I did the same thing- one breast per feeding. I use the same breast for 2-3 feedings. My lo is 8 months old still exclusively breastfed.. (she has reflux and issues with solids) so no solids and during the day she eats every 1-2 hours.. she has never gone more than 3 hours between feedings during the day and will onyl do that if she is sleeping - most of the time its every 1-2 hours!!

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

One thing ou need to know is tha breastfeeding is a supply and demand system, which is why nursing on only one side at a time can still work: if your baby wants more, he'll suckle more, and your body will know to produce more. Being unable to produce enough ismuch rarer than people think. It's more likely he's up all the time because he's going through a growth and/or hunger spurt....mine started doing that too, and we're only now (at a week over four months) starting to see the other side.

It sounds like you are doing great!

My son is 11.5 months old, and he has always nursed off one side per feeding. You do not have to nurse from both sides at each feeding!

My son nursed every 2-3 hours until he was 7 months old. I was lucky to get 3 hours in between nursing sessions! It wasn't until about 7 months that he started going 3-4 hours. Typically it was about 3.5 hours.

It was also until about 7 months that he was still waking up 2 times a night. At 11.5 months he still wakes up one time every once in awhile.

Pumping is not nearly as effective as nursing. It is no indication as to what your baby can get when nursing. My pedi said my son is probably getting 6-8 oz. each time he nurses (on one side). I'm lucky if I can 2 oz from each side when I pump. I was pumping 3 times a day to get enough for 2 bottles at daycare. When I was home with him (before I went back to work) I pumped one time a day on the same side. I nursed on one side and then pumped the other. My body got used to that, and then I was able to pump more, but it still wasn't much more.

What kind of pump do you have? That can make a difference too.

hi mama,
    I am curios about the bottle? Are you separated during the day and this is why you need it?

I understand why you thought to start with cereal but I think you may want to reconsider this. The additional food will decrease the amount of milk your baby will want to remove from the breast. Breast milk is made on demand, so if you begin decreasing the amount you remove you will make less. Does this make sense? So by feeding solids you are decreasing the demand for your milk. I might consider offering the breast more frequently to increase my supply, and pumping simultaneously. Really if your need for the bottle is not critical I would continue to nurse without pumping. A baby is more efficient at milk removal than a pump any way.