Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my lo a little miss piggy?

Default Is my lo a little miss piggy?

We just started solids last week at one meal! She is 5.5 mo! We did 3 days of oatmeal, 3 days of barley, then we started veggies same way in this order -- peas, squash..and we are in the middle of string beans today!

We use the gerber stage 1s in the rectangular containers! Her ped said it would take her a while, she will probably not know what to do with it and stick out her tongue where most will fall out...OH NO!! not little miss courtney...she opens her mouth WIDE and I cannot get the spoon filled up with more fast enough, she wails all four limbs wanting more...from day 1!!! It actually is really funny, I laugh hysterically at her

I have read that many babies take a teaspoon for a while, she wants more and more! I have fed her a couple of times the whole 2.5 oz container! I thought I could have two containers last me 4 days!! She loves her food, just like her daddy! There is no question that she was ready!

My question is -- is the 2.5 oz container too much at this age! I hope my lo isnt the only hungry little bear!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

Default Re: Is my lo a little miss piggy?

I dont think its too much, since you started solids, but I wouldnt offer more after that. You may want to nurse her first, then offer solids when she is done nursing otherwise there may be some adverse reaction with your supply
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I usually do it about 45 min-1 hr after a feeding!
    Or I feed her before she gives me the hunger signs...and she most often takes a FULL bottle of EBM afterwards!! Her appetite amazes me!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04

it may just be a growth spurt or she may be a good eater. DS was a good eater....now, well, HA enjoy this while it lasts!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I just read your response to me in the other post about when to start 2nd and 3rd meals (I'm the one with a 10 month old big eater!). My daughter ate like a pig from the second I started her on solids. She ate anything I gave her. My son eats even more. It cracks me up to come to this site and read what other kids are eating because my son usually eats more for breakfast than most other kids eat in a whole day. Babies are good at telling you when they are done. I just keep feeding until he says he's done. For breakfast, he'll usually eat about 7 Tbl of cereal plus about 5 Tbl of fruit. For lunch and dinner, he eats whatever we're eating. He's been known to eat 2-3 pieces of pizza at one meal. You're probably thinking that this kid's gotta be huge, but he's only in the 14th percentile for weight. He has the metabolism that I wish I had! I have a friend who's baby was the same way. He would just eat and eat and eat. I wouldn't worry about it. Your baby knows what she needs. Unless weight becomes and issue, I would feed her until she is full (obviously making sure she gets enough BM in a day - my son nurses about 4-5 times a day on average). Also, just make sure you're feeding her healthy food. But, that's just my advice and I'm no doctor!!!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

thank you! I felt the same way! I will!! After I am done with the half container she is still opening her mouth for more! She is only in 50th percentile! So maybe I will give a little more!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04