Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What age for 2nd and 3rd meal?

Default What age for 2nd and 3rd meal?

DD is 6 mos. We started solids at 4.5 mos on the recommendation of the Ped (DD was also seemed very ready). Up until now we've been slowly introducing different cereals, fruits, veggies during one meal a day (dinner). Now Ped's office is suggesting 3 meals a day because she has "higher calorie needs" now that she's rolling and trying to crawl. Her weight and height are fine. I nurse her 3-4 x's a day and she gets 3 bottles of EBM at the sitters. I don't want to replace BM with solids. Three meals a day at this age seems like too much. So my ? is, at what age did you start the 2nd and 3rd meals?

Default Re: What age for 2nd and 3rd meal?

My son started solids at 6 months, and we started 2 meals around maybe 8 months (breakfast and evening), then added the third around 9.5 months (very approximately). I always nurse him first so that I know he's getting plenty of breastmilk (I usually wait a 45 minutes or so after nursing before offering food), and then after he eats I give him a little while, then offer the breast again. So far his nursing has not been affected at all.

Good luck! It's fun watching them try new things!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas's Mum View Post
    My son started solids at 6 months, and we started 2 meals around maybe 8 months (breakfast and evening), then added the third around 9.5 months (very approximately). I always nurse him first so that I know he's getting plenty of breastmilk (I usually wait a 45 minutes or so after nursing before offering food), and then after he eats I give him a little while, then offer the breast again. So far his nursing has not been affected at all.
    This is exactly the times we did the same! Now, at 11.5 months, she gets 3 meals plus a snack.
    Last edited by amyped; February 1st, 2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: more info

When do you introduce meats? DS2 started solids at 6 months. He is now 7 months, but only gets fruits and vegs. Sorry didn't mean to ! I just had to use that!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

both my kids started solids at around 4 months and both started 3 meals almost right away - within a couple of weeks of beginning solids. My son is 10 months and gets 3 meals and 1-2 snacks a day. I've also been doing meats for months. I think I may have started meats around 6-7 months. I think you just need to do what seems right for your baby. My son definitely wants food all day. He is not satisfied with just BM. Good luck!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    both my kids started solids at around 4 months and both started 3 meals almost right away - within a couple of weeks of beginning solids. My son is 10 months and gets 3 meals and 1-2 snacks a day. I've also been doing meats for months. I think I may have started meats around 6-7 months. I think you just need to do what seems right for your baby. My son definitely wants food all day. He is not satisfied with just BM. Good luck!

I just posted a thread asking if there were any other babies out there so hungry at that age! Thank you that makes me feel better! i read all these babeis start so much later, glad to know my lo is not the only one!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

My lo is doing 2 meals a day..... He would do 3 if I let him.... and he doesn't nurse any less, which is a bit strange to me!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by Tippee View Post
    When do you introduce meats? DS2 started solids at 6 months. He is now 7 months, but only gets fruits and vegs. Sorry didn't mean to ! I just had to use that!
    I started meats (lean ground beef and chicken) around 9.5-10 months.

We tried turkey at Thanksgiving, and he was 8 months old and loved it. Now he eats ground beef, chicken, and turkey.

My almost 11 mo old still barely eats one meal a day. And hasn't eaten at all lately since he's been sick - just bm right now. He is not interested and I don't want to force him. Go with what YOUR baby indicates and all should be well.

Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user