Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I try to wean now?

Default Should I try to wean now?

I was reading the last post about when some of you stop producting milk after you weaned and I'm just wondering if I should stop now or not.

Here's my brief story. I've been EPing since DS was 2 weeks old. I'm preggo, due on May 7th. DS just turned a year on Saturday. I quit because he's now taking whole milk just fine and I thought I'd give myself a few months of rest w/out having to pump before the new baby arrives. But now I don't know if that was the best choice. I mean I haven't pumped for a day and a half so I'm sure if I started back on schedule it wouldn't mess things up too bad. But should I just keep doing what I started and not pump at all? What would ya'll do?

Default Re: Should I try to wean now?

I know how you feel, i am trying to wean my kid now. It is a hard decision AFTER you think you have made it. But momma yu went a year and if you want a few months to yourself you should take it without feeling bad. If you want to start back up you probably can. but don't feel like you are doing something bad but stopping

I know that answer is vague but thats where Im at too- "I dunno"
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Thanks so much for your input. I guess I keep worrying that I'm going to mess something up where I won't be able to bf again in May with the new baby. I know that sounds upsurd, but its just in the back of my mind that if I stop now, I'll never get this milk back. I guess with the new baby I'll be making all new & different milk to fit her needs. I'd love to hear the medical basis for that since I really have no clue.

odds are in your favor that with a 2nd baby you'll do just fine!
    this is the right place to come for help..
    are you wanting this baby to nurse at the breast?
    What problems did you run into with your 1st baby?

oh and I wanted to ask too how much you were pumping?
    because you realy don't want to quit cold turkey and risk plugs or worse.
    cutting out pumping is just like weaning, the slower you do it the more comfortable your going to be.

I definitely want to nurse with the next babe. DS had latch issues, but never seemed to when we would go to the LC. He made us out to be liars I also have flat nips, so we tried the shield, but it just caused more problems than good. I was so stressed about it all and dealing with that on top of PPD was not a good combo. EPing was the next best thing for us. Now that I've been doing it for a year, hopefully it drew my nips out so latch will be a success next time

Anyway....for the past 2 weeks I've only been pumping once a day. Then the past week, I've been adding an hour to the pumping sessions (9 a.m. one day, 10 a.m. the next day, and so on). I was getting 6 ounces out each once-a-day-session. (Side note: When I was pumping every 3-5 times a day, I'd get 12-17 ounces out during a single session , so 6 ounces is small compared to what I usually produced).

But now, I'm having some discomfort. I've got the lumps that remind me of the plugged ducts I used to get, itchy breasts & the feeling of engorgement. I have been wearing a tight bra all day & all night. And I let the hot water beat down on me in the shower. I can't even hold my baby close to me or give my DH a hug because I'm so tender. Am I doing something wrong or is this all a part of the normal weaning process? What warning signs should I be on the look out for as far as infection?

Thanks!!