Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions on gas and sleeping pattern

Default Questions on gas and sleeping pattern

Hi,
    I am a new mum of a 1mth old...my baby is throwing up milk..not curdled..jst milk and he also chockes and milk comes thru his nose as well...which i get soo scared. This happens often. The doc recommended to gve gripe water 3 times daily..but ever since he is very sleepy even to feed. Does anyone know whether the gripe water is sedative or not? But it has cut down his choking episodes...and also he does not get up at night to feed as well...

Does anyone have any other remedies for gas? And does a 1mth old sleep throughout the night?

Any help will be grt...
    Thanks
    SMTsmum

Default Re: Questions on gas and sleeping pattern

Quote Originally Posted by SMTsmum View Post
    Hi,
    I am a new mum of a 1mth old...my baby is throwing up milk..not curdled..jst milk and he also chockes and milk comes thru his nose as well...which i get soo scared. This happens often. The doc recommended to gve gripe water 3 times daily..but ever since he is very sleepy even to feed. Does anyone know whether the gripe water is sedative or not?
    I have not used gripe water but is supposed to be a natural calmer for babies so that could be why he is so sleepy.

But it has cut down his choking episodes...
    GREAT!

Does anyone have any other remedies for gas?
    We have used Mylicon when my DD was young and that seemed to help; however, now it does not seem to.

And does a 1mth old sleep throughout the night?
    They can; but it is not common. Luckily ours slept through the night since day one. She now sleeps 10-12 hours a night.

Your LO will eventually, so hang in there!

Does the gripe water have sugar in it? My mom is a pedi nurse at a children hospital. They use sugar water to sedated the babies if they have to do small procedures on them.

Like the previous post, Mylicon works great, and LOTS of burping.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Thank you for the reply...the gripe water is sweet, but the ingrediets jst state dill and sodium bicarbonate...so i m not sure...

Is there an easier way to make the baby drink medicine? He does not seem to like the taste...i was thinking of using a medicine dropper...

Thank you for the reply...the gripe water is sweet, but the ingrediets jst state dill and sodium bicarbonate...so i m not sure...

Is there an easier way to make the baby drink medicine? He does not seem to like the taste...i was thinking of using a medicine dropper...

No just stick the dropper on the inside of cheek.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Have you tried tummy massages? They are great for gas relief. I agree with the mylicon drops. You might want to see if it is something you are eating that is not agreeing with your lo. Tomatoe based products were big gas causers!

Hmm...thanks..i will try it and get bk...