Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: On Tamiflu; Need to pump for 8 days!

Default On Tamiflu; Need to pump for 8 days!

I started a five day course of Tamiflu yesterday and was told that I shouldn't breastfeed for 8 days.

I felt so sick that I took my first pill before I considered toughing it out without medication

What advice is there for keeping my milk production up. It has been low because of the flu, dehydration and lack of eating.

I don't want this to be the end of breastfeeding!

-Mother of a 4mo old

Default Re: On Tamiflu; Need to pump for 8 days!

Quote Originally Posted by mkmkmk View Post
    I felt so sick that I took my first pill before I considered toughing it out without medication
    Do you usually pump anyway -- do you have a stash of BM to use in the meantime? If you don't have an established pumping supply - suddenly switching and being sick could really hurt your supply. If you've only taken the one pill, you could just stop taking it so you'd only have to wait a day or so before nursing full-time again (call a pharmacist to double-check the half-life of the med. -- I think I read something about 10 hours on one google search).
    I'm sure one of the LLL leaders will come along soon with some good advice, too!

Hope you all feel better soon! One benefit of going it w/o the meds and nursing through it is that your LO would get all those antibodies and hopefully avoid getting sick.

Hope you're all feeling better soon!
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/40/3205.html

maybe that will help its from dr hales.
    If you have taken one dose you could stop.

Thanks for the advice. I have taken 3 of the ten pills so far and my son has been eating the breastmilk I had frozen, but boy, that large stock isn't very large when I use 30 oz of it a day. I will run out in another day or so and then will have to go to formula. I have been pumping twice a day at work for three weeks now but do I now need to pump 5 or 6 times a day? Will my milk production stay up with just a pump?

I am concerned about stopping the Tamiflu mid-course for fear of my body becoming resistant to the medicine and the flu virus rearing its ugly head again.

mkmkmk

pumping more then the baby was nursing might be wise.
    The baby is beter at removing milk then the pump.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html

How often should mom pump?

8-10 times per day: Until supply is well established, it is important to get at least eight good nursing and/or pumping sessions per 24 hours. Ten sessions per day is better, particularly if you have twins or higher order multiples.
    These sessions don't need to be evenly spaced, but you should be nursing/pumping at least once during the night in the first few months or anytime you notice a decrease in supply. Avoid going longer than 5-6 hours without pumping during the first few months.
    When pumping during the night, milk yield tends to be better if you pump when you naturally wake (to go to the bathroom or because your breasts are uncomfortably full) than if you set an alarm to wake for pumping.
    If you are having a hard time getting in enough pumping sessions, adding even a short pumping session (increasing frequency even if milk is not removed thoroughly) is helpful.

You may want to talk to a lactation consultant about supplements to help keep your supply up, too. I've also heard oatmeal (not the instant stuff) is good for supply. Pump LOTS, and if possible, use a hospital-grade pump (which can often be rented from hospitals or pharmacies, even Safeways sometimes carry them).

From Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 pg 679 says in part:
    The peak maternal plasma concentration is only 551 nanograms/mL following a 75 mg oral dose. It is not known if it transfers into human milk, but the levels would likely be incredibly low due to the low maternal plasma levels.
    You can read the full listing in the resource below. Simply search "tamiflu" on the left hand side of the page and you will be taken to a group of results. From there, you can choose to see the listing for Tamiflu. You could share this information with your doctor.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0977...47#reader-link

As for maintaining your milk production, it's important to pump/hand express at least as often as your baby would nurse. Below are some resources that offer suggestions for maintaining milk production when baby cannot nurse:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

HTH!
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; February 3rd, 2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Testing link. :)