Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 month old with juice...no way! help!

Default 3 month old with juice...no way! help!

My 3 month old has a problem with not pooping every day like she use to. My MIL thinks it's a good idea to give her apple juice to help her poop. I keep telling her to not give it to her because it's normal for babies her age to not poop everyday, as long as they go at least 1 or 2 times a week (even though they are some really REALLY bad blow outs.....eeewwweeeey!) But she tells me it's not normal. She is the type of grandma who says......"well when I was pregnant, or when he (my hubby) was a baby.......". I get upset because that was 24 years ago when she was pregnant and he (my hubby) was a baby and things are a different. I do not want her to give my baby juice when I'm working and not there. What do I do?? I don't think she's given it to her yet. Then she suggested that I start putting rice cereal mixed in with my BM, because she thinks my baby isn't eating enough. What age should I start mixing the cereal in with my BM?
    ASHLEE AKA NATALEES MOMMY
    BORN: 10-26-07
    6 LBS 3 OZ
    18-1/2" LONG
    PROUD MOMMA WHO LOVES TO BREASTFEED

Default Re: 3 month old with juice...no way! help!

i believe she doesnt need to poop every day. As long as wet diapers are about 6 a day and she isn't straining to poop when she does go, she is just becoming more effecient in her digestion i noticed fewer poos at this time is DSs life too

when she poos is it hard and does she strain???

You are mom, take her "advice" with a grain of salt and say, "i appriciate your advice, but I am going to go with my gut" If that doesnt work its time for DH to have a heart to heart with his mom

BTW cereal will make pooing harder so dont do it! wait til 6 mo at least. You should really start when baby can sit unaided for a length of time

if you think she is going behind your back, well if it was me i would re-think the arrangement. I would not feel comfortable being lied to about MY CHILD
    Last edited by GageWsMom; January 31st, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

heres a great link about starting solids
    you could print it out and give it to your mil..
    its normal for them not to poop every day. You could just tell her that she just pooped before she came. if you want to be sneaky

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

Quote Originally Posted by GageWsMom View Post
    i believe she doesnt need to poop every day. As long as wet diapers are about 6 a day and she isn't straining to poop when she does go, she is just becoming more effecient in her digestion i noticed fewer poos at this time is DSs life too

when she poos is it hard and does she strain???

You are mom, take her "advice" with a grain of salt and say, "i appriciate your advice, but I am going to go with my gut" If that doesnt work its time for DH to have a heart to heart with his mom

BTW cereal will make pooing harder so dont do it! wait til 6 mo at least. You should really start when baby can sit unaided for a length of time

if you think she is going behind your back, well if it was me i would re-think the arrangement. I would not feel comfortable being lied to about MY CHILD

She poops maybe every other day or two, and she has lots of wet diapers a day. When she poops it's still the honey mustard color and a little runny. But I did noticed that yesterday morning, she was pushing kinda hard (where her face got red) and it was a greenish color. Is that a sign that my MIL could be possibly feeding her something behind my back? I don't think she would, but who knows. I love her dearly, but she is MY CHILD and I want to raise her the way I want to, not the way she did her children. She thinks I'm nuts that I don't want to give her juice to help her poop.
    6 LBS 3 OZ
    18-1/2" LONG

could be....
    Sometimes green poops are normal.

This would be a good article to show her as well
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html

Perhaps she just doesn't know what is "normal" for the breast fed baby. She probably is worried, but hopefully you can assure her that there is no need for intervention.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLJessica View Post
    This would be a good article to show her as well
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bm.html

Perhaps she just doesn't know what is "normal" for the breast fed baby. She probably is worried, but hopefully you can assure her that there is no need for intervention.
    Thanks.....this is helpful!
    6 LBS 3 OZ
    18-1/2" LONG

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

heres a great link about starting solids
    you could print it out and give it to your mil..
    its normal for them not to poop every day. You could just tell her that she just pooped before she came. if you want to be sneaky

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

Thank you, this is helpful too!!
    6 LBS 3 OZ
    18-1/2" LONG

My LO used to poop everytime he was changed as a newborn. At around 2 or 3 months, he switched. He poops now about once every week-10 days! (and more often than not, I see his face scrunch up and go red - that's when I KNOW he's pooping and not just farting!) I've learned that is because they get so many useful nutrients from exclusive breastfeeding, that there is virtually no waste by-product to poop out so often.

I would encourage you to wait on any other types of solid foods until 6 months.

Also, here's a great link from my favorites on poop colors: http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp
    keep it for future reference!

HTH

my understanding is that as long as they are not straining for like 30 minutes to poop, they are fine. Both of my kids did have to do the juice thing, but not because of the frequency (they would go about 1 week with no poop), but just because they would strain and strain and get nothing. I wouldn't worry about it. I agree with pp...if I felt like I was being lied to about my child, I would find a different situation. You want to be able to brush things off and be flexible, but you need to trust that things that are important to you are being respected. Good luck!

p.s. when I hear the "when I was pregnant" argument, I always remind people that they also used to think drinking and smoking was ok when they were pregnant!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)