Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 day old DD and a sick 2 year old DD!!!

Exclamation 8 day old DD and a sick 2 year old DD!!!

I have tried so hard to keep my 2 year old away from my 8 day old...I lysol everything when my 2 year old goes to school and before I take care of my 8 day old I use the hand sanitizer. So far I have not gotten sick but I am worried my 8 day old is getting sick. She coughs every now and then but not constantly...no fever...she had a tough time getting to sleep last night and I ended up nursing off and on for 3 hours! She nursed at 3:45 am and then started to stir at 6:45am but then fell back asleep until 8 am and nursed on one side and then nursed on the other but then spit everything up and fell asleep. I'm so scared she is getting sick. Does it sound like it? She has an appointment tomorrow, but I don't know. Am I just paranoid?!

Default Re: 8 day old DD and a sick 2 year old DD!!!

My husband was very ill the day we brought our lo home from the hospital. She was sneezing and coughing too but my pedi said most infants do to clear their lungs out.
    If you're really worried, call the pedi but it doesn't sound that abnormal to me.

My new baby caught a cold from my 2 year old just a couple of days after he got home from the NICU of all places. I was VERY NERVOUS. But, he did OK. If your baby doesn't have a temp...and is feeding OK, then she is probably fine. If she is unconsolable...or gets a fever over 100.4....or won't eat, then she needs to be seen. But, since she is going to the doc tomorrow anyhow, then I wouldn't worry.

The best thing is that she is getting mommy's milk. And NOTHING is better at keeping her healthy than that. Lots of babies don't get sick at all because of the benefits of BM.

Keep up with the handwashing! I hate cold and flu season.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

I wouldn't worry too much mama. I am just like you on being paranoid.

Maybe this will help, my husband is a teacher and during Thanksgiving break he got sick with something from school and had 104.5 temp. I freaked, but our son was fine and still nothing. My hubby is around junk all day everyday and Rowdy is still fine. Knock on wood

Just keep up the good work!

Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

thanks for the reassurance!

A mother who is nursing exclusively should not have to lysol constantly or hand sanitize other than after working with cloth diapers or when not in a soap and water situation. I got sick with the flu when my newborn was about 2-3 weeks old. He ended up staying in bed with me for the whole 24 hrs. He seemed to have the same ailment(clammy, lethargic, etc...) but he nursed perfectly the whole time. We both came thru like champs!!! (I had been sick on and off for a month before he was born!!! Exhausted when it came time to give birth lemme tell ya!!!) I have a 2 year old as well. I have not vaccinated my infant as of yet at six months, and it is such a mind breaker thinking about these things. But alas infants are programmed to survive and with proper love and good mama milk, they are designed to THRIVE!!! Please relax and know that exclusive nursing and good hand washing with soap and hot water(both you and your 2 year old) your infant will survive and thrive without excessive worry and anti germ agents. In fact over sanitizing could affect your newborns ability to take in and "self immunize" common household and family germs. It is scary but you should not let a relationship between all of you suffer by keeping the toddler from this wonderful new counterpart. What his sibling may bring to him now should only make him/ her stronger, and with your supervision, excessive germ spreading shouldn't be an issue. I hope i have helped alleviate fears, please enjoy this special time....believe me! I know about worry too!
    love,
    becky