Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Z-pack

Unhappy Z-pack

Hello ladies. I am new to this site and have called LLL many times in the past (especially in the beginning)! My daughter will be 3 months old next month and I'm a first time mom.

I have strep throat and was wondering if anyone you have ever taken Z-pack while nursing? I can't seem to find the safety level of the drug anywhere.

I'm also a little concerned about giving it to my little one. I hope she is receiving the antibodies from me and doesn't get this. I keep checking to see if she is warm to me because I'm so worried!

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Z-pack

Are you talking about zethromax (sp?) All I know is it's a very strong antibiotic...did you tell your doctor you are BF? They can usually look up the lactation compatability and then you can make the decision.

Also, don't worry too much about giving it to your daughter...you are doing the right thing to BF and you are giving her antibodies Try to contain secretions and wash hands a lot (I'm sure you're already doing this).

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

http://www.obfocus.com/reference/For...ithromycin.htm

found this...try googling "zithromax and breastfeeding" some stuff comes up...I think that is the same as z-pack (not positive)

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Sorry you're feeling badly
    Here's another link with some info from Dr Hale's forums. And here's some info from lactmed.

If I were you, and I was concerned, I'd give a call to my childs pedi and run it by them. THe amount baby is going to get, via bm, is low. They should know this.

Good luck - feel better soon! (rest up & get those fluids in ya !)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I've also found pharmacists to be very helpful when it comes to BF compatability with medicines. They seem to feel more "responsible" about it. Hope you feel better - strep is nasty!

Oh my goodness... I almost forgot how nasty strep really was! I was in so much pain last night and so miserable that laying down was a chore. My fever wouldn't go down, I could hardly talk nevermind swallow, and my whole body hurt. It was so awful. I took motrin earlier that night and it didn't put a dent in anything.

I am not a big fan of taking drugs, but holy cow. Last night was so bad I dug into my "post partum" stash and took a percoset. It took the edge of the pain a tiny bit and helped me sleep.

My throat isn't as bad tonight, but still very sore. Today was a slow go for me... I hardly moved.

Thanks everybody
    Beautiful Bevyn born 11-7-07

Currently off of dairy, soy, wheat, egg, fish, shellfish, pork, and oats.