Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Also trying to ween/DD hates cows milk

Default Also trying to ween/DD hates cows milk

I too am trying to ween my 17 month old. I feel guilty telling her no "boobie"!! I distract her during the day so its not so bad..but for bedtime she"s like a crack addict and needs her "boobie" Today about 5pm when i just got home from work,i gave in..i gave her "boobie" cause she was hysterically crying and refused her milk (btw she will not drink cows milk) I was pumping till about 1 week ago and i would mix the breast milk w/ cow milk..she knows if theres no breast milk in her "baba" and will cry!! what do i do?? i used up all stored milk and she will not drink chocolate,strawberry,soy,or vanilla w/ the cows milk...

Default Re: Also trying to ween/DD hates cows milk

I weaned my ds around that age, I would nurse when he asked, but since he always nursed to sleep, I would offer to nurse before bed like in a chair or couch, but not in our bed. . .then take him to bed. It was hard because he really didn't want to nurse much except in bed. . .but we made it through. As far as cow's milk, he didn't drink any until he was fully weaned for about 2-3 weeks. Also I've heard that rice milk tastes more like bm, if you want to try it? I tried all flavors as well as all soy and flavors too. . .strawberry whole cow's milk was our first hit. . .LOTS of strawberry though. ..once he was drinking it regularly I cut back on how much flavoring I put in it. HTH
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Try using the word "later" instead of "no." That can help a lot. Pick the time(s) she CAN nurse and get her down to ONLY that time. Weaning from there will be easier. (Weaning when she's older would be easier too.)

As far as milk, my dd would only take it warmed up. And she LOVED it with a little honey in it. Have you tried that?

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Things going well for you?

Yes thank you very much..DD loves the rice milk!!!!! but DD still wants boobie at night..so we'll see what happens

ds is allergic to dairy and I give unsweetened soy milk occasionally.

What kind of rice milk did you buy?

organic rice dream