Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: do i pump before or after?

Default do i pump before or after?

I was told to pump before I nurse, since the baby can get 3 times as much out than what the pump can. But from what I've read on here, I should pump after I nurse. But if I pump afterwards, my nipples feel really sore to pump. I even turn down the suction on the pump, but then I don't get as much milk. Will it hurt to pump before I nurse? Will my lo not get enough if I do it before?
    ASHLEE AKA NATALEES MOMMY
    BORN: 10-26-07
    6 LBS 3 OZ
    18-1/2" LONG
    PROUD MOMMA WHO LOVES TO BREASTFEED

Default Re: do i pump before or after?

Let me ask this, why do you need to pump? Are you trying to build up your supply? Building up a stash? Most of the time it is reccomended for you to pump after you nurse. But it really depends on what your need is.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

I usually pump while my daughter is nursing. After she finishes one breast I will pump the breast she just finished while she nurses the other side. Then when she finishes the second side I put her in her swing and finish pumping. I have noticed that when I have a letdown while she is nursing I seem to get more milk.
    Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!

No matter the purpose for pumping, my LC always recommended pumping after nursing my DS. You will not get alot out, typically 1-2 oz per side max. If you are doing this to build a stash you can add whatever you pump throughout the day into one bottle in the fridge, then store at the end of the day.

If you were to add extra pumping sessions, you will be triggering your body to produce more (supply and demand) not to mention what will seem like a lot more time and work. I personally would never pump before (if engorged and having latch issues, hand express a small amount until you are comfortable), let your LO get as much as they can!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

The only time I have seen people pump before is when they have OALD. Which is why I asked what the purpose is for.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

if you are looking to store extra..i say pump after to get a little each time! And I also pump a full session at 11 pm at night before I go to bed (my lo's last feed is at 8 pm) so I get one full bottle of 5 oz in one sitting
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

i've tried pumping before- not always on purpose but my lo is a frequent feeder and would surprise me wanting to eat earlier than expected. i can tell you she got a bit cranky about the whole thing. Now I pump after in the a.m. when I can, especially if she only nurses on one side. That seems to be the best time to get the most milk.

I pumped before, but not right before, i would say i tried to space it about 45 min before in the AM. I needed it for work, i couldn't pump enough just pumping at work. it really depends on what you need it for and how much you need
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Well, with my precious fussybutt I don't get much choice -- I pump when she's sleeping! That typically means she ate right before she fell asleep, and although she will want to eat as soon as she wakes up, she doesn't really need to, so I'm not worried if there isn't a lot for her right away. I guess what I'm saying is that I pump half-way between feedings. I can usually get at least 2 oz per side when she hasn't missed a meal.