Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply drops after a bad cold; help!

Default Supply drops after a bad cold; help!

I'm a FTM (and new to these forums) and my son is 11 weeks old. We've had a pretty good bf experience so far. I have inverted nipples, and I never successfully weaned him from the nipple shields used in the hospital to help him latch. I was told this might hurt my supply, but he's been gaining weight gangbusters and my supply seemed secure, even after I returned to work a few weeks ago.

Until now. I had a very bad cold the last 5 days. In the last 2, I've noticed a drop in supply. My breasts are suddenly much softer, I pump half the amount I normally do at work, and my son is fussy on the breast and nursing MUCH longer than he usually does.

I feel kind of panicked. I don't have a lot of freezer reserves to supplement if I am unable to pump enough during the day to leave him. At night, he cries and cries at the breast and it breaks my heart.

I am as close with him as possible when I am home. We have a sling, I co-sleep, and I even come home from work at lunch for one nursing session during the day. What else can I do to help my supply rebound? I really don't want to supplement with formula, but he has caught my cold and I also am terrified of starving a sick baby.

Any tips would be appreciated. My sister-in-law told me relaxing would help, although that's some advice I'm finding it difficult to follow through on.

Default Re: Supply drops after a bad cold; help!

Its not uncommon for a cold or illness to cause a temporary drop in supply. Your body is working to fight a sickness, so it doesn't have the resources to produce as much milk as usual, especially if you are tired.

It sounds like you are on the right track with keeping him close. On the weekend, can you just spend time in bed with your baby? Skin to skin contact and lots of nursing is going to be good. Also, try to drink a lot of water and fluids.

Breastmilk is the best thing for a sick baby. Keep nursing Mama. Our bodies know what to do, even during colds and illnesses. Rest as much as you can to allow your body to heal.

Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

if you are drinking tea anyway Mothers milk tea might help......but I am not sure its a good idea whenur sick.....lets see what someone else thinks about it
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Thanks so much for the advice. I will absolutely stay in all weekend. Sounds nice, actually. I could use the rest.

Thanks too for the support. It helped me just to hear that it's normal for this to happen when you get sick.

I picked up some of the tea too. Even if it doesn't work, it's another way liquid to drink. . . .

I am going through the same thing now. I ended up being on antibiotics. My supply dropped badly. After posting on this site I was told to drink lots of water and eat oatmeal to build my supply back up. Although I was told it can take a few days. I have noticed that I my supply has been increasing in the past 2 days,slowly but it is! Hang in there. It will come back!

Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by criszackkeni View Post
    I am going through the same thing now. I ended up being on antibiotics. My supply dropped badly. After posting on this site I was told to drink lots of water and eat oatmeal to build my supply back up. Although I was told it can take a few days. I have noticed that I my supply has been increasing in the past 2 days,slowly but it is! Hang in there. It will come back!

Suzie
    I reacted to antibiotics and both my son and I ended up dehydrated. I thought that was it, our nursing was over. But no, I stuck with it, kept offering the breast, and we're still going 3 months later
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I just wanted to report that after another difficult night, and a few more tears from baby and me, (but I resisted supplementing from the frozen store) I woke up bursting with milk. I've never been so happy to wake up in a wet spot. Ha.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to me for the encouragement. I felt so emotional and it really helped. I can see why support is necessary to a long-term bf experience.

I didn't realize before this happened too how attached I've become to nursing. I'll never complain about being woken up 3 times a night again (yeah right).

Thanks all.

Hello and ,

I'm so glad things are starting to go better for you, mama!

Weaning from a nipple shield can be really tough. If you do want to try again, there are other mamas around here who have successfully done it.

Have you seen this link?: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html

It has a lot of great suggestions for increasing the amount of milk you are able to pump. Maybe some of them will help you!

Hang in there!

Tiana

I was reading your message about using a nipple shield. I used one with my son for 12 weeks. One day I decided to try latching on without it and he latched on great. He is 5 months old and we are going strong. After I stopped using the nipple shield I noticed an increase in supply so I do believe that it does decrease supply. Just hang in there. After your illness your supply will be back to normal.

Crystal

It's encouraging to hear that it's possible to wean LO from the nipple shield so late in the game. Mostly, I'm just annoyed at having to wash them all the time.

I read some of the links and I'll give some of those techniques a try. Thanks.