Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't want to start solids...

Thumbs down I don't want to start solids...

My 4 month old's pediatrician told us to start her on veggies and fruits just for the taste, not the calories. She's been BF from the beginning and we're very successful with it. (she's 50th percentile for both height and weight)

I don't know if it's just the lazy side of me or denial that she's getting bigger, but I really don't want to start her on solids. I'm not ready for the mess or the possible reactions she could have to it. And even the cost of it since BFing is free. And I thought I wanted to make my own baby food, but I'm getting frustrated by the prep and storage of it.

Can't I just BF forever????

Is this a normal feeling to have about starting solids? Maybe because she's still so young, but I really am not ready for solid feeding.

(And plus I don't think she's quite ready just yet either. She spits out everything that I put in her mouth (like meds or vitamins drops)).
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: I don't want to start solids...

You dont have to start solids mama infact there are new recommendations to wait until at least 6 mo old.

Okay - here's just one of the great kellymom resources here and here is a solids FAQ page from the LLL pages.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

IMO it's totally ok to wait!

Info on why to delay solids

and signs that baby is ready for solids

Our pediatrician told us at 4 mo that we could start solids if we wanted to (didn't say we HAD to). I had already decided that I wanted to wait until after DS was 6 mo so I politely ignored our pediatrician.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Posted at the same time as Eme!
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post

Posted at the same time as Eme!
    we rock!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

these two.... so cute

don't start if you dont wanna, they might be docs, but you are MOMMA!

check those sites out
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

its okay to wait. Here's a link to Dr. Sears http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

Somewhere on this site it talks about how we used to recommend solids at 6 weeks, then 4 months, and now 6 months. He theorized that eventually the recommendations would not be to start prior to 12 months. However, the currect recommendation is 6 months so that is what he recommends to his patients.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

And here's the American Academy of Pediatrics on starting solids for a breastfed baby:

Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection.

Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.
    Lynn

Well I've been beaten to giving you good links, but I vote on delaying solids.

My first didn't start experimenting until 8 - 9 months.

My six month old will not be offered until around the same time.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I had the same feeling. It's probably normal but I never considered starting solids before 6 months. Our ped said I could start cereal or fruit at 5 months but I told him I would wait until DS was 6 months and he said it was totally fine. DS was VERY interested in food so I started experimenting with banana and avocado to see how he'd react and he loves both . I just give him a little bit and he gets all excited. I think it's more fun when they are ready. I have a friend that started at 4 months and her LO had lots of problems with constipation, spiting up and waking up at night, etc...
    Trust your instincts specially if your LO is growing so well with mama's milk.