Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore nipples from bfing and pumping

Default sore nipples from bfing and pumping

is it normal to have sore nipples from nursing and pumping? My son is 4 weeks old and latch seems to be okay, but when I pump i am sore which than leads to me being sore when I feed him on the breast. any suggestions would be great!!

Default Re: sore nipples from bfing and pumping

if the breast shield on the pump is too small it will make your nipples hurt

Sometimes friction from the pump flanges can irritate your skin and cause nipple soreness. Try putting just a little bit of olive oil on the sore area before you pump.

--Rebecca

Another mom in our LLL group had this issue and she began using Lansinoh when she pumped to reduce the friction (same idea I think as the olive oil suggested above).

Red face Re: sore nipples from bfing and pumping

Hi! I haven't had this problem (thankfully!) but my mother told me to use a hair dryer when you get sore. Just blow it on your nipples after you bf/pump, and it should clear up in a day or two. Plus, the hot air is soothing too. I've only heard it from a few people, but I think it's just something that not many know about. Anyway, it might work!

Oh do i feel your pain! or rather i used to.

I exclusivly pumped and bottled my premie until she was 6 weeks old. because of my fancy nipple shape (inverted/flat/wide base) even the biggest shell of the pump would pull my poor nipples over the neck of the shell. i would actually have bits of skin on the inside of the flange when i was done. it was awful.

the things that helped me were:
    - getting the biggest shell possible that was the closest to a good fit for me
    - making sure i had good placement- nipple smack dab in the middle of the pump
    - lubing up with lanolin before each pumping to decrease the friction (i mean alot!)
    - keeping my nipples moist- rubbing breastmilk in after each pumping, using more lanolin or a perscription cream (they don't recommend using the blow dryer any more)
    - using first-aid doughnut bandages in my bra inbetween pumpings to keep my bra from touching my nipples and keeping my creams on. you can buy plastic shells to do pertty much the same thing, but i found them uncomfortable. the doughnuts were just funny looking under my shirt- but at that point- i was beyond caring!

It was so frustrating that i couldn't give my body the time i knew it needed to heal, it's a vicious circle, for sure. do you have to pump every time you feed or can you drop a few times a day? once my babe started going to breast, i could drop a few pumpings and that little break made a big difference in healing- i just needed to keep a close eye on my supply.

I hope it gets better for you soon!