Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerned! Breastfeeding exclusively, 7 weeks postpartum and starting menstrating

Unhappy Concerned! Breastfeeding exclusively, 7 weeks postpartum and starting menstrating

Well the title pretty much explains my concern. I have been breastfeeding exclusively for about 3 weeks now. I am 7 weeks postpartum and woke up today to find that my period has returned early. I immediately phoned my OB-GYN, and he assured me that everything was okay and that my milk supply wouldn't be affected. I am still worried though and shocked. I was assuming my period wouldn't return until I weaned my baby or if it were to come early that would mean at about 3 months. Has anyone experienced this or know anything about why I would be menstrating so early? I just want to be sure that I will be able to continue breastfeeding without complications. I could really use some fellow mom advice/knowledge.

thanks.

Default Re: Concerned! Breastfeeding exclusively, 7 weeks postpartum and starting menstrating

You can definitely continue to nurse with your period. Sometimes it will cause a small dip in supply for a day or two, but I don't even notice it anymore (and neither does lo). Mine came back, I believe, around 5 months and I've continued to nurse for another 10 months with no end in sight.

One question- do you know for sure it is your period? I had post partum bleeding on and off for nearly 8 weeks, any possibility it could be that?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Concerned! Breastfeeding exclusively, 7 weeks postpartum and starting menstrating

im 4 weeks post partum and im pretty sure i just got my period too, well, it looks like it, very light tho, (and the normal brownish blood)

I was a c-section, and my bleeding stopped at about 2 weeks, and then i just had the normal discharge till 3 weeks, now this at 4 weeks...

havent really noticed a drop in supply tho..

oh, and im an exclusive pumper.

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    One question- do you know for sure it is your period? I had post partum bleeding on and off for nearly 8 weeks, any possibility it could be that?
    I was going to say the same thing. I had bleeding for about 8 weeks...but sometimes it would stop for a day or two.

And same for Melissa, if you are only 4 weeks pp....it could be from the c-section. I was also a c-section. I stopped bleeding for a day or two here and there...it was wierd. But it wasn't AF.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Beccamomof2 View Post
    And same for Melissa, if you are only 4 weeks pp....it could be from the c-section. I was also a c-section. I stopped bleeding for a day or two here and there...it was wierd. But it wasn't AF.
    I was c-section as well. My pp bleeding looked just like a period after the first 2 weeks. It would come and go, stopping for up to a week then reappearing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

oh!!! well thats very reasuring! I was a little PO'd about getting it back, lol.. im looking forward to having it MIA for a little while longer!!

Thanks

Before you get so reassured that you run around getting things done....Recurrent bleeding postpartum is very often a sign from your body that you are doing too much for your body's happiness, and IMO is best taken as a sign to slow down and rest as much as possible (which I realize is not easy...). Be easy on yourself, Mama...

Lol!!! ugg, yeah, im VERY bad for taking it easy, apart from having a 2yo running around, i also have a lazy husband, and hate having a messy house... ok.. i guess ill try and relax more

Thanks

I got mine back 6 wks pp too.....totally sucked but was considered normal and it didn't do anything to my milk supply HTH
    I'm Christina
    Wife to Drew 11/16/02 Mother to Benjamin Patrick 2/24/06 and Elizabeth Victoria 5/4/07
    http://tac.families.com/ezb/967846.png

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzomama View Post
    Before you get so reassured that you run around getting things done....Recurrent bleeding postpartum is very often a sign from your body that you are doing too much for your body's happiness, and IMO is best taken as a sign to slow down and rest as much as possible (which I realize is not easy...). Be easy on yourself, Mama...

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.