Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What Would You Do?

Question What Would You Do?

I have a dilemma that I would really appreciate your kind input on.

I'm starting to notice that my breasts are lopsided as far as milk supply goes. On top of that, my nipples are of two different sizes. My right breast I swear I could feed twins with, that's how much milk it produces. It also has the bigger, longer nipple, which is a good thing, as DS latches onto that breast quite easily without much assistance from me. My left breast is a totally different situation. The nipple is about half as long as my right, and it doesn't seem to produce enough milk to DS's liking. He always pulls at the nipple to stimulate more milk about 15 mins. into feeding (he never does this on the right side). Furthermore, if I start a nursing session on this breast, it takes dozens of attempts to get him to latch right, until we both become so frustrated that we settle for a latch that isn't ideal, but is less painful. My areolas are small, both about the size of a quarter, and he barely gets that much in his mouth on the left side.

What I'm troubled by is that the methods that I've read about in order to help correct these challenges sound contradictory, and I'm kind of left wondering what is the best course of action. I know that in order to increase milk production in my left breast, I need to feed on that breast first. I've also read that to help him latch better on a particular breast, I should start him on the breast he latches better, so latching him on the other breast isn't so much of a challenge.

So what would you do? Just deal with the lopsidedness in order to keep him latching properly, or increase milk production in the poor producing breast?
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

Default Re: What Would You Do?

Actually, there are a couple other ways to even out production. The easiest way I can describe it is to put the baby on the other breast in the exact smae position as he is on the 1st so that he actually gets to latch on the less favored breast in the exact same way.

So if your child was laying on a Boppy pillow eating in the cradle hold and you unlatched him when he finished and instead of flipping him, you just moved the whole pillow until his mouth was at your other breast, he would be in the foot ball hold on the other side. Does that make sense? So now his is still in HIS best position to latch correctly and work his mouth in the way that is most comfortable for him.
    Also besides starting on the less productive breast, you can block feed to get to even out production. So that means only feeding off of one breast per feeding and feeding off the smaller side twice as often. So you feed of the left breast for two feeds in a row and then the right side for one feed. My son did way better with my left breast than the right for a long time. So much soo that it was excruciating to get him to latch on the other side iuntil I figured out how to get into the position that mimicked him eating on his good side. But as soon as I figured out the whole supply and demand thing I was able to manipulate my milk production to become more even by block feeding. HTH.
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; January 30th, 2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: I forgot half a sentence.

Way too lazy for formula

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

DJ's mom gave some good suggestions. I know that my DD latched on differently from my right to my left so you have to figure out what works best for you. My right nipple was different than my left and she latched better with the right. We just figured out a system that worked best for her to get her to latch the best she could on each side. The best thing is to keep trying.

Also I just wanted to add that my lo prefers one side as well. Usually she willl latch better on the nonfavorite side at night, so if we have had a lopsided day, I offer the other side more at night. I found this approach less frustrating than battling it out during the day.

I went through that for a week and a half and it was so difficult for me. I would encourage you to always start on the difficult side, because then it will build it up again. Try different positions to see if that works as well..

Keep up the good work!

You could use a nipple shield on the side you are having trouble with. I have found that it works really well with getting them to latch. If you do not want to use it for the full feeding, you could start with it to draw out the nipple and then take it off 3-5 minutes into the feeding. I know some might not be for this, but it gets the job done!!!! On the side that you are not producing as much on, you could pump for 5-10 minutes after every feed or between feedings. Fenugreek seems to work well for me. I take 2 capsules three times a day. As soon as I started taking it, my husband commented about all the extra milk in the fridge. Placebo?? Who knows, but it seems to work.

HTH

So if your child was laying on a Boppy pillow eating in the cradle hold and you unlatched him when he finished and instead of flipping him, you just moved the whole pillow until his mouth was at your other breast, he would be in the foot ball hold on the other side.
    That is EXACTLY what helped me, right to left.