Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No time to pump while at work

Smile No time to pump while at work

Hello ladies....
    I work in a Call Center for a major cell phone provider. I go back to work on Feb. 15 and won't have to return to the phones until March 2. So for that first two weeks I'll be able to have the time off to pump, however when I do go back to the phones I will have two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break. When I pump it takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to empty my breast. I don't want to stop breastfeeding just because I'm going back to work. I've worked so hard to get him to feed and we are just getting going and reducing the amount of formula supplement. I want to cut out formula all together if possible. Do you have any suggestions, will my supply decrease if I'm pumping before work (my schedule is 3pm-12am), during my lunch break, and when I get home. I can get up as early as 8am to begin pumping, but the time in between pumps while at work is what concerns me.
    EEK! My son will be 6 weeks old when I return to work.
    Sorry...I feel like I'm rambling on now, first post, a little nervous :0 )

Default Re: No time to pump while at work

What is your working situation like? Would it be possible for you to pump & work at the same time?

I pumped at work using a hands-free thingy and pumped while I was working.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Unfortunately I work in a cubicle that is open on all sides, otherwise I'd pump away

Maybe you could speak with your boss and see if they would give you an extra 5-10 minutes for your break? Other than that I am really not sure. Every drop of bm your lo gets though does so much good for him.

Even if you can't fully empty your breasts, pumping for 10 minutes will remove some milk and be beneficial to you and your lo. There was a point which I only had 15 minutes for an entire break. I made sure everything was ready to go, I pumped for 10 minutes, then I put everything back in the cooler bag so there was no clean up. to ask for additional break time if possible but if that is not possible then it can still work. Also, like you mentioned, you can pump at other times after you bf to get additional milk for your lo's bottles if you do not get enough during those pumping sessions at work. for your desire to cut out formula and pump! You can do this. It might be hard the first few weeks but you will get into a pattern.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by MommytoLukas2008 View Post
    Hello ladies....
    I will have two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch break. When I pump it takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to empty my breast. Do you have any suggestions, will my supply decrease if I'm pumping before work (my schedule is 3pm-12am), during my lunch break, and when I get home. I can get up as early as 8am to begin pumping, but the time in between pumps while at work is what concerns me.
    EEK! My son will be 6 weeks old when I return to work.
    Sorry...I feel like I'm rambling on now, first post, a little nervous :0 )
    Please excuse the editing. But I was in a similar situation going back to work in that I had to at one point supplement with formula. It is possible to get you LO back to EBM. Okay, with the time I think you would be fine. I've read you can pump for as little as 10 minutes and as long as 20 minutes so if you take you to breaks to pump and also you lunch I think you will be fine not to mention pumping in the mornings.

I have tried to pump at least 3 times at work but more often than not I always pump twice and I pump a few times when I get home as well as BF and thus far it has worked well and my LO has been back on EBM. So good job for you and if you have to continue to supplement some don't feel bad about it--you are doing the best you can with the situation at hand. But again I think you will be fine and your supply won't decrease.

Other moms will give their advice and I am sure you will find some information from all to help aid you with this--a MOD will probably come and give good advice as well. Please keep us posted .
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

with PP's. Taking just 10 minutes will at least *help* with your supply. I am able to pump both sides in 10 minutes and get about 4 oz total. I don't rinse my pump all the time. I throw it in my bag with the bottles and put the whole thing in the fridge. You can spend a little longer at lunch to pump if you don't mind eating quickly.

In addition to pumping 3x's at work, I also pump before I go to bed. I usually only get about 2 oz in the evening, but that's an extra 2 oz I didn't have before...Let us know how it works out!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

First I hope you are getting comfortable here! I too have to pump but am very fortunate to have an office so I work and pump at the same time, but there are many times when I am in all day meetins and time is limited. One peice of advice is try to schedule it to be consistent. That is where I have messed up. When you know the time is coming, start to think about your baby and nursing and all the warm fuzzies of being a mommy, that gets you "in the mood". Try and get as effeicient with the pumping as possible- meaning, don't worry about cleaning the parts after your last pump, have the set up ready to go as much as physically possible. But my best advise is RELAX! When I stress about it and how much I am getting, I get less. I have to supplement a couple ounces a day when he is at dc, okay so my son is still getting so much more breastmilk than those measly two ounces of formula. Even if it were more than 2 ounces and I was still breastfeeding, it's still better than none! You are doing the best you can and your desire to continue and work this all out speaks volumes about your commitment to your child. Good Job! Big it's so touhg being a mom and having to go back to work! Lean on us for support whenever you need it!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Hey I am in a similar situation. I'm a nurse and work 12 hr shifts. I like to pump 2x a shift (lo is 12weeks old). I pump in the car on the way to work at 530am, then ideally around 1030am and 330pm and feed DD when I get home at 7pm. However there are many days that I am only able to pump 1x since nursing is so demanding and they need my actual presence all the time. Before you start back to work, talk to your supervisor and see if you can combine your 2 15min breaks for a 30 min break. Then eat while pumping (that's what I do, or I wouldn't be able to eat). I was really worried about not having enough because I know most people pump every 3 hours or so while at work. But it's been ok. I pump about 15oz each day and my DD takes 12-15oz.

Also, since someone has to watch my patients while I'm gone, I have to explain why I need my breaks at this time (and why I really, REALLY need a break at 1pm sometimes when I haven't gotten one yet). So everyone knows and it's kinda embarrassing in some ways. But you get through it. I'm sure you will too, it may be embarrassing telling someone you really, REALLY need a break. But you gotta do what you gotta do. Good Luck!

I am not sure if this would be better than 2 short 10 minute pumping sessions during your 15 minute breaks, but could you maybe take your breaks together so that you have a half hour break and a half hour lunch. You would only have 2 pumping sessions but you could at least maximize you time pumping. Just a thought.
    I also agree that having everything ready to go and then tossing the parts in a plastic ziplock in the fridge so that you don't waste time cleaning up.
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006