Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stress at Work affecting my milk supply!!!

Unhappy Stress at Work affecting my milk supply!!!

Hi- I am a manager in a large company which has just gone through a merger. I just got back from a week long conference (11 hour flight, 5 hour time zone difference). I was fortunate enough to take my baby along (husband took care of him during the day) so that we could continue night feedings and I had also pumped with my Medela Pump-In-Style during the day. That was a pretty stressful time, but we got through it. Well, now there are major re-orgs in my company and one of my friends got laid off. I think the stress is really affecting my milk supply. I have no idea how secure my job is at this stage. I drink 1 gallon of mother's milk during the day along with at least 2 quarts of water, so hydration on my end isn't an issue. I used to be able to pump about 14 ounces a day, but yesterday I only got 5.5 oz. This limited supply has been going on for about a week now. Yesterday, I even pumped every hour and a half to increase my supply. To make matters worse, my baby has a slight cold and didn't nurse as much last night because he was congested and had trouble breathing while he nursed. I finally decided to take a sick day to pump and feed him and get some rest. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? Anything would be most helpful! Thank you!

Default Re: Stress at Work affecting my milk supply!!!

P.S. I also forgot to mention that I have a sinus infection now and am on antibiotics. I have no idea if the medication and the fact that I'm sick is also affecting my milk supply - but maybe it is. If anyone knows, please comment.Thank you!

Some people say that stress doesn't affect supply, but I've noticed it does in me. I've had a few episodes where my supply got really low, so I did as much nursing as possible. That's the most important thing. Also, I eat a lot of oatmeal and take fenugreek when it gets low. Also, beer is supposed to help because of the brewer's yeast. I don't mind having one now and then while I'm nursing (not during nursing, but you know before bed or with dinner).

Try to let yourself relax, whatever it takes. With your cold, you should be doing that anyway! And don't take any decongenstant--I've heard lots of people say that drops their milk supply.

Sorry to hear abotu all your stress at work. I'm sure it's tough, but try to remember what's really important--your sweet baby! That's how I keep myself sane with work stuff anymore. I always remind myself that it's just work and my "real life" is waiting for me at home!

Hi Lilly's Mom, thanks for your advice and support. Unfortunately, I'm very allergic to oatmeal and that's not an option that I can take. But, I do agree that my real life is at home and will focus on my darling 7 month old son. Thanks!

I've heard about the beer thing....is it really safe to have a beer while nursing?? When after drinking the beer can you nurse?? What about the alcohol effect on the baby??
    Having the same problem with low supply and work and would love to try some different suggestions.

Lots of Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by WJFsMommy
    Hi- I am a manager in a large company which has just gone through a merger. I just got back from a week long conference (11 hour flight, 5 hour time zone difference). I was fortunate enough to take my baby along (husband took care of him during the day) so that we could continue night feedings and I had also pumped with my Medela Pump-In-Style during the day. That was a pretty stressful time, but we got through it. Well, now there are major re-orgs in my company and one of my friends got laid off. I think the stress is really affecting my milk supply. I have no idea how secure my job is at this stage. I drink 1 gallon of mother's milk during the day along with at least 2 quarts of water, so hydration on my end isn't an issue. I used to be able to pump about 14 ounces a day, but yesterday I only got 5.5 oz. This limited supply has been going on for about a week now. Yesterday, I even pumped every hour and a half to increase my supply. To make matters worse, my baby has a slight cold and didn't nurse as much last night because he was congested and had trouble breathing while he nursed. I finally decided to take a sick day to pump and feed him and get some rest. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? Anything would be most helpful! Thank you!
    Hi WJFsMommy
    You are having some tough times - {{{hugsssssss}}}
    Job security is a big thing now, so of course you are worried.

You may be surprised to hear that drinking more water (or any liquid) does not increase your milk. In fact, too much liquid can actually supress your supply. All you need to do is to make sure that you are adequately hydrated - drink when you are thirsty. If your urine is a very pale yellow or clear most of the time, you are probably drinking enough.

On the other hand, pumping (or preferably, nursing,) more frequently is usually a GREAT way to increase your supply! Your breasts only make more milk if you remove more milk, so you can see why that would work!
    This weekend, spend as much time as possible with your feet up, nursing the baby at every peep. You will probably see quite a difference in your supply by Monday morning. You might even want to make a practice of taking a *nurse-in* every Saturday and/or Sunday to boost your supply.

If your baby is having a hard time nursing because of the congestion, make a point of pumping after that session. Your baby may find it easier to take the milk from a small cup. Some mothers even like to freeze their milk to make ice-pops - teething babies love them

How often do you usually pump at work? Would it be possible to add another pumping session or two? Many mothers find that this kind of schedule seems to work for them:

early morning - pump, then nurse (or pump from one side while nursing from the other)
    at sitter's - nurse before leaving for work
    mid morning - pump
    lunchtime - nurse baby or pump
    mid-afternoon - pump
    at sitter's - nurse
    Nurse on cue all evening and at night, with one last pumping before going to bed.

Do you think that something like that would work for you?

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

Smile Re: Stress at Work affecting my milk supply!!!

Hi Norma,

Thanks for the advice. I normally pump 3 times a day at the office. We have a live-in nanny, so this is my usual schedule:
    6AM - last feeding before I go to work
    9AM - pump for 15 min
    12PM - pump for 15 min
    3PM - pump for 15 min
    6PM - nurse baby at home

I nurse on cue all night long. My baby is a reverse-cycle feeder. He has only slept one night (a month ago) in his nursery and is going to stay in our bed until I decide to stop nursing (I gave up on the fantasy of having him in his crib because it was too tiring having to go to his room to nurse in the middle of the night). During the weekends, though, he isn't really interested in eating. I usually have to "remind" him to eat when he goes over 3 hours between feedings. I think he gets too distracted and excited that we're both home to play with him that he forgets to eat or isn't interested in it.

When my milk supply is low during the workday, I try to pump more frequently (sometimes every hour and a half when it's really low). But, I think that I'll try your suggestion and pump in the early morning before I feed him then add another one before going to bed.

Can you give me a suggestion on how long I should pump before feeding my baby in the morning, please? Thanks again for the great support!!!! I really think that I would've quit nursing a long time ago if I haven't found the LLL forum. It's really nice to know that I'm not the only person going through these issues and trying to do the best thing I can for my baby. Knowing what other people go through gives me incentive and inspiration to be vigilant at nursing while working as long as I can.

Thank you!!!

It's the hopps in the beer that some people benefit from. I believe that is more for let down, and you can buy O'Douls non-alcoholic beer for the same effect.

I have seen a lot of people suggest that you eat oatmeal to increase milk supply - is there research that proves this or a website? I asked my lactation consultant about it and she was miffed.

Good luck with your pumping.

[quote=WJFsMommy]Hi Norma,

>Can you give me a suggestion on how long I should pump before feeding my baby in the morning, please? Thanks again for the great support!!!! I really think that I would've quit nursing a long time ago if I haven't found the LLL forum. It's really nice to know that I'm not the only person going through these issues and trying to do the best thing I can for my baby. Knowing what other people go through gives me incentive and inspiration to be vigilant at nursing while working as long as I can.<

Thank you for your kind words
    All we do, as LLL Leaders, is share information so that you can make the choices that work for you. YOU do the actual work

When you are pumping to increase your milk, pump until the milk starts to slow down to a drip.... and then pump some more! You may well get another letdown. When you nurse, you actually get several letdowns, although you may not feel them. In any case, it is a simple equation: the more you nurse (or pump) the more milk you make.

LLLnormaR

LLLnormaR-
    This may be a silly question - but I am confused by your suggestion to pump before nursing in the am - wouldnt this empty the breast and leave the baby with not enough to eat? How soon after pumping can baby get a full feed? I have been pumping after nursing in the am instead...should i do this the other way round?