Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Birth control pill-problems with milk supply

Default Birth control pill-problems with milk supply

Hi there,

My baby boy was born 8 months ago and we had a wonderful time nursing together….until now. Here is the story.
    My husband and I are not ready to expand our family (we have our hands full with the baby and his two older brothers, 5and 6) and since my baby started solids already, nursing alone became unreliable as a birth control method. With my husband working long hours during the week it was extremely difficult for me to see my own doctor. Also, just a few months ago we moved out of town, which made it even more problematic. In the end I ended up seeing one of the physicians at the local medical clinic, where making appointments is not necessary. I explained to him that I am nursing but need to go back on the pill again. And that’s where it all started... He prescribed Tri-Cyclen. He said that it will not be harmful to the baby but may decrease milk production if my baby is six months or younger. He said that in my case, since my son is 8 months old and our nursing well established, everything should be fine. I didn’t question that, even though I didn’t feel all that assured. I am on my 4th pill now and I am worried. I seem to have less milk every day. My baby wants to nurse more frequently and when he does, there is more sucking going on than swallowing. He sucks harder, almost painful. I don’t think he is satisfied when we are done. I am thinking of throwing the pills out and hopefully restoring my milk supply. And here is my question, is it even possible? Is it possible that the pill might have impaired the milk production for good? What should I do? Never had this problem with my older ones and have no idea what to do. Any suggestions, please?

Default Re: Birth control pill-problems with milk supply

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBee
    Hi there,

My baby boy was born 8 months ago and we had a wonderful time nursing together….until now. Here is the story.
    My husband and I are not ready to expand our family (we have our hands full with the baby and his two older brothers, 5and 6) and since my baby started solids already, nursing alone became unreliable as a birth control method. With my husband working long hours during the week it was extremely difficult for me to see my own doctor. Also, just a few months ago we moved out of town, which made it even more problematic. In the end I ended up seeing one of the physicians at the local medical clinic, where making appointments is not necessary. I explained to him that I am nursing but need to go back on the pill again. And that’s where it all started... He prescribed Tri-Cyclen. He said that it will not be harmful to the baby but may decrease milk production if my baby is six months or younger. He said that in my case, since my son is 8 months old and our nursing well established, everything should be fine. I didn’t question that, even though I didn’t feel all that assured. I am on my 4th pill now and I am worried. I seem to have less milk every day. My baby wants to nurse more frequently and when he does, there is more sucking going on than swallowing. He sucks harder, almost painful. I don’t think he is satisfied when we are done. I am thinking of throwing the pills out and hopefully restoring my milk supply. And here is my question, is it even possible? Is it possible that the pill might have impaired the milk production for good? What should I do? Never had this problem with my older ones and have no idea what to do. Any suggestions, please?
    Yes, it IS possible that the pills are the cause of your decrease in supply. Many mothers have reported the same effect. You might want to talk to your doctor about other, non-hormonal methods of birth control.

Here is another thought.
    How much solids does your baby eat? How many times a day?
    Some babies (and mommys!) get so excited about the idea of eating *big people food* that the baby gets too full to nurse as much, and so the supply decreases.
    To prevent this, make sure to nurse BEFORE feeding solids.
    Your milk remains the single most important part your baby's diet until he reaches his first birthday. The solids are to give your baby a chance to experiment with new tastes and textures and to learn to feed himself.

Please let us know if this information helps your situation.
    warmly,
    LLLnormaR

I will not deny the "excitment" in the family when our baby took his first bite of banana. It went from there. In the last two months my baby went from a couple for teaspoons of solids a day to about 3/4 cups three times a day. I did have a feeling that it might have been a bit too much so I limited his solids to about one cup a day. Let me tell you, he didn’t like it! He just loves to sit at the table with everybody else and enjoys his cereal, veggies and fruit a lot. To keep up with my baby's demand I nurse much more often now but my breasts don't seem to be catching up. How long should it take before it happens? A day, two, more? I understand it might be an individual thing, but is there a guideline here? It’s been about three days or so, that we nurse more than spoon-feed and I don't see much improvement. Again, it is the pill I blame for the most. I will have to consult a doctor as soon as I can.
    Thanks for your thoughts, LLLnormaR.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBee
    I will not deny the "excitment" in the family when our baby took his first bite of banana. It went from there. In the last two months my baby went from a couple for teaspoons of solids a day to about 3/4 cups three times a day. I did have a feeling that it might have been a bit too much so I limited his solids to about one cup a day. Let me tell you, he didn’t like it! He just loves to sit at the table with everybody else and enjoys his cereal, veggies and fruit a lot. <

Are you feeding him with a spoon?
    Babies this age can feed themselves - and that will slow him down, too.
    Put down an old shower curtain under his chair and get out the camera! This is fun for the whole family.
    You can offer him the same food that you eat, just cut into tiny pieces. It is easy to microwave a few frozen peas, green beans, corn kernels, carrots (sliced and cut into quarters.) He may also enjoy pieces of sweet potato, and have fun with cooked rice or pasta.
    Soft fresh fruit, like pears and bananas, do not have to be cooked at all.
    Be sure to wait about a week between introducing new foods so that you can see if they agree with him.

>To keep up with my baby's demand I nurse much more often now but my breasts don't seem to be catching up. How long should it take before it happens? A day, two, more? I understand it might be an individual thing, but is there a guideline here? It’s been about three days or so, that we nurse more than spoon-feed and I don't see much improvement.<

Give it about a week. See if the self-feeding works too!

> Again, it is the pill I blame for the most. I will have to consult a doctor as soon as I can. <

Please do!

>Thanks for your thoughts, LLLnormaR.
    You are welcome
    Do stay in touch!
    warmly,
    LLLnormaR