Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: toddler still nursing ...mama ready to wean

Default Re: toddler still nursing ...mama ready to wean

I have a 19 month old who I am very ready to wean night nursing. I am a working Mom, but cut out 1/3 my work load with the birth of your son, and have to start working more frequently. ( I work from home much of the time) I have an over night away from our son coming up in weeks, and I think it will be hell for my husband. I am wondering how we can prepare him for this shock of his life! Occasionally I work late and come home to my husband holding him on the couch in front of the TV asleep. Every night I put him down awake in his bed, rubbing his back and singing songs, but at some point he ends up in our bed. So we do co sleep nightly in an indirect way. I have read 3 books on the subject. I guess I am trying to find the magic pill that won't require him to "cry it out" I would have to emotionally detach to do that. At night we have introduced a cup of water, and occasionally that works, but he protests allot. On top of that, I love the idea of being pregnant again, and I am so tired all the time during the day, I can't fathom how I could manage that. I am 38 and clocks ticking!
    Helllllllpppppp!

Quote Originally Posted by cadella View Post
    Thanks for the advise. My little one is pretty stubborn so I think I may have to move the crib into his own room as well. I also am considering the cry it out method. I know it sounds harsh but my little one is a very determined child. I have not even thought about the day time nap situation. I figured one thing at a time. The night crib sleeping then the nap sleeping without nursing then the weaning. I have tried letting him fall asleep at my breast and then moving him but he is a light sleeper and most times when he falls into a deep sleep so do I. LOL.. Does anyone have any friends who have had luck with crying it out?
    Our pediatrician suggested CIO many times for my son's night-nursing problems but I couldn't do it. I have heard that Dr. Jay Gordon's method works like a magic for babies over 1 year old and I am planning to try it. Here is a link for it:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

Thanks , I guess I will give Jay Gordon a try before I try the CIO method. Keep me posted on how you are doing. I will probably begin the first of March. We will be out of town the next two weekends and I do not want to have his schedule off, or maybe I am just putting it off and so I should start tonight.

Hi everyone;

It is not necessary to let determined little ones cry it out in order to get them to sleep without nursing or to sleep in their own beds. It does take a little more work and patience, but it's worth it!
    La Leche League has several good books on it. At a LLL meeting a leader suggested I read "The No Cry Sleep Solution" and it is amazing! My dd is two and very determined to nurse, but I have been shocked that this gentle method really works!
    Basically, the premise is this: When your baby wants to nurse, let them. You can either wait a few minutes or begin right away (it's up to you) but count 1 one thousand, 2 two thousand, etc. to 10 (sometimes I go to 15) and pull your nipple out (with your finger to prevent chomping!). Your little one will probably root around and fuss a bit, so give them back the nipple. Then count to ten again. Do this again and again, as long as it takes. After a while your little one will roll over and contentedly go to sleep.
    I read that and thought - no way will my dd go for that. But she does! And always has! The most it's ever taken has been 7 tries, and it's usually 2-4. I couldn't believe it. After a while (usually no more than two months of this consistently) and your little one won't wake up at all to nurse. I used it to cut down on nursing originally, and now am working on complete night nursing. The challenge is to stay away at 2am to count, but you can do this knowing just a few nights of doing this and it will get better!!! It sure beats listening to your little one cry all alone.
    You can apply the same method for sleeping. A little more work (at least for me it has been) but it still works. I wait until she's really relaxed and then start pulling out. It's worked like a charm, I really can't get over it.
    There's a little more to the method, so I suggest the book.
    But it is such a gentle way - no tears, no fighting, and your child will choose to do this on their own without feeling rejected.
    Try it!

I meant stay AWAKE, not AWAY! The whole point is not to be away from your baby.
    Also, LLL' "Good Nights" is another good one.

We stopped nursing to sleep for the night by making the nursing session shorter by a little each time and stopping JUST before he falls asleep.

If he fusses, I will explain that "nanan" (his name for nursing, boobs, etc) needs to sleep too, and we will nurse again tomorrow. I will pat him to sleep instead. Usually that works. If it doesn't, I will tell him we'll nurse for only a little while more, and then "nanan" has to sleep. Usually, after the second or third try, he will roll over and go to sleep.

We ended the middle-of-the-night feedings by having papa to rock him if he awakens. He cried a couple of times, but after a few days, he got used to the idea. After a while, we tried to stop the rocking as well. We kept his water bottle near his bed and observed (we hid behind a shelf) a few times that after a short cry, he would help himself to the water, and go right back to sleep.

If his cries escalated into distress, either papa or I would go to him and rock him back to sleep. But no more nursing.
    Last edited by dorothy; February 25th, 2008 at 04:29 PM.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

"glad" I am not alone in this boat.... You all know what I mean by that.

I am here seeking advisement on this same issue-- I feel actually really horrible when I nurse her, angry and tense and it doesn't help....

She goes to sleep in her own bed at nighttime, but comes in to mommy and daddys bed in the middle of the night (and usually I dont even realize it till I wake up and she it latch on and back to sleep already!!!!!) and I would very much like her in her own bed for one simple reason. Mornings. I want to get up before her to get things done and I never have been able to because she ALWAYS wakes if I leave the bed, even to pee in the middle of the night.