Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toddler still nursing ...mama ready to wean

Question toddler still nursing ...mama ready to wean

Hello! I am a stay at home mom to a beautiful 19 month old named Aidan. He finally sleeps in his crib through the night, which is a nice change since we co-slept up until 2 months ago. The weaning process had begun naturally for us until now. Aidan still nurses to sleep for his afternoon nap (which he sleeps in bed with me) and at bedtime(in his crib). I know he is not ready to stop...he loves it too much!
    My problem is that he CANNOT and WILL NOT fall asleep without nursing. He has never been put to sleep by anyone else, including my husband! I am feeling a ton of anxiety about weaning because it's going to be a battle to get him to go to sleep! Does anyone have an suggestions for us? I'm willing to try anything!!!

Default Re: toddler still nursing ...mama ready to wean

Please please please someone give "us" the magical answer to this thread!~!!
    to you mama...I'm in the same boat. My DS will nurse and nurse (even when there is no milk....and throws a royal fit when I unlatch him during the "pacifing" sessions). Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm just emotional b/c I just handed him off to DH to put him to sleep b/c he was so mad at me for unlatching him.

We are trying a sleep routine that ends in nursing and then eventually dropping the nursing at the end. It is a simple routine (jammies, brush teeth, stories, songs/nursing at the same time)...I've also been trying to get him to take a sippy cup instead of nursing...not going well.

Good luck!!!!

Unhappy Trying to ween/DD hates cow milk!!

I too am trying to ween my 17 month old. I feel guilty telling her no "boobie"!! I distract her during the day so its not so bad..but for bedtime she"s like a crack addict and needs her "boobie" Today about 5pm when i just got home from work,i gave in..i gave her "boobie" cause she was hysterically crying and refused her milk (btw she will not drink cows milk) I was pumping till about 1 week ago and i would mix the breast milk w/ cow milk..she knows if theres no breast milk in her "baba" and will cry!! what do i do?? i used up all stored milk and she will not drink chocolate,strawberry,soy,or vanilla w/ the cows milk...

I replied on the no cow's milk post. . .but I'll say again what seemed to work, is to offer to nurse, but not in bed, no more nursing in our bed AT ALL. . .and not allowing them to fall asleep, but start rocking, etc. My dh was a big help around this time too, he would take over the moving into bed part. . .since we still wanted to co-sleep.

He cried a lot. . .but he was with his daddy, so IMO it's not ideal, but it's ok since he's with someone who loves him a whole lot. . .kwim? It took a few nights, and after that he didn't even want to nurse when I offered it to him before bed. Now he won't go to sleep with me, and prefers dh! LOL

I'd like to switch and put him to sleep, and let dh take dd's bedtime now, but not sure dh is up for the challenge yet!

and good luck to all!
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Red face Re: toddler still nursing ...mama ready to wean

Thanks for all the great tips and ideas so far. I think I finally realize that my husband is going to be playing a huge role in the process. (although I'm wondering if he realizes it yet!)
    I think whatever we do, we just have to stick with it! When the time comes I will definitely be saying a sad goodbye to something I truly love sharing with my son.
    Please keep the good ideas coming!

I don't have any advice for you as my dd (13mos) still adamantly nurses to sleep as well, but I am wondering though how you transitioned your son to his crib at night? We have been co-sleeping, but dh and I are ready to have our bed to ourselves again. Pm me if you'd rather...I don't want to throw your thread off course! Thanks!

Question Re: toddler still nursing ...mama ready to wean

Hi,

I hope you don't mind but I was wondering what you did to get you son to sleep in his crib. i'm sorry I don't have a suggestion for you to your question, we are not there yet. Weaning is our next step after the crib. I have enjoyed co-sleeping with my son, however he is waking frequently from my husband and I moving or coughing etc. We are also preparing to try for another child and I think it would be best to tackle these two items(crib and weaning) prior to my pregnancy. thanks!

It was a lot of work to get my son to sleep in his crib. We used to have his crib in our bedroom right next to the bed. That did NOT work at all. It was a difficult decision to make, but I knew I had to move him down the hall into his own room. He had never slept anywhere, but with us.
    The first night was hard on us. I would nurse him to sleep in bed with me and when i knew he was sound asleep, I would carry him into his room and lay him down. (doctors will tell you this is a BAD idea, but it worked for us!) Sometimes he would wake up awhile later and I would let him cry himself back to sleep. Now he pretty much sleeps "through the night"in his crib. (8-9 hours). He still ends up in bed with us at around 6am looking to nurse. It's hard to listen to him cry in the middle of the night if he wakes up, but I stay strong and let him cry himself back to sleep. After awhile he started to get comfortable!
    Now I actually get to sleep more than a few hours a night! YEAH!

That was my little guy a few months ago, so we changed around the bedtime routine. I nursed him after dinner, before the bath, then brush teeth, jammies, potty, story. Now, he nurses 1-3 times a day, but since we don't nurse before nap anymore, it's usually after nap. I spent the whole day making the signs for his routine and telling him the order was changing. I would sign "lolo" (milk), bath, "dodo" (night-night). I took a couple of days, but after the last nursing session was over, when he asked again, I just repeated the steps of the ritual and told him which one we were on.

Now, when we're eating, he'll sometimes sign for / say bath and not want to nurse at all.

I think it has been helpful for us to continue nursing but not at those times when I knew he'd fall asleep. Today before his nap, he asked for milk, but then smiled when I said "after the nap." He's sleeping a little longer for naps now that he's not attached to me.

It's funny, but now he seems to associate nursing with waking up instead of going to sleep.

Theresa
    Theresa

Thanks for the advise. My little one is pretty stubborn so I think I may have to move the crib into his own room as well. I also am considering the cry it out method. I know it sounds harsh but my little one is a very determined child. I have not even thought about the day time nap situation. I figured one thing at a time. The night crib sleeping then the nap sleeping without nursing then the weaning. I have tried letting him fall asleep at my breast and then moving him but he is a light sleeper and most times when he falls into a deep sleep so do I. LOL.. Does anyone have any friends who have had luck with crying it out?