Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night-weaning a Co-sleeper?

Default Night-weaning a Co-sleeper?

Does anyone have experience night-weaning an exclusive co-sleeping child? Daniel is 14 months and with the pregnancy I am feeling I want to night-wean to make the transition smoother when the baby gets here. I still haven't decided if/how/when we are going to night-wean. But I want to know if it requires stopping co-sleeping. I have visions of a great family bed when the 2nd child arrives. But I also have plans to set up a queen bed for alternate arrangements on the rough nights.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Night-weaning a Co-sleeper?

Oh! I am going to bump this because I think Eme has done it....hopefuly she'll see it! If not send her a PM tomorrow....

Way too lazy for formula

I'm just started to night wean. Sam is still waking up a lot at night (last time it was four times) but three of the times, I was able to get him to go back down by just scratching his belly or rubbing his back. He was a little congested, so that definitely helped, he didn't want to nurse as much - but I was thinking that it was so much easier than nursing him. I'm going to keep trying it, maybe I can just soothe him back to sleep without actually whipping out the breast every couple of hours...
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

Yes indeed S and C are right

We did it. We Used Jay Gordon's method. I feel like we talked about that already but it might have been someone else I was singing his praises to

LMK if you have any questions about my experience

Carolin, moon mooney time? sooooo freaking cute!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks!

I understand about the Father being involved in night times. Right now that just isn't an option for us, which is one of the main reasons we leave things the way they are with the all night nursings. DH starts around 5 AM and works for about 12-14 hours in construction. It just wouldn't be safe for him to do the sleepless nights right now. So hopefully after we move that WILL be an option.

Eme, I thought you co-slept, but wasn't sure cause there was a post where you mentioned a crib. I'm guessing thats for naps?

My main concern is finding the right timing. Its the same thing with Potty Training. We are about to make a move to a new city, new house, etc. Plus we are going to have the new baby after the summer. I want to make sure that we don't push him and then cause regressions. Y'know?
    Lyn

My older daughter seemed to get interested in potty training when the younger came along, I couldn't cope at the time! That will happen. Don't push it, I think it's really hard to deal with potty training and a newborn at the same time (lots of accidents you see! and that's hard while nursing).
    Just my advice!

If it doesnt seem to take, within about 30 minutes or so, I say wait it out. I had no DH help either. He's a zombie at night so I never have.

I do cosleep- when I put him for naps it is in the crib, when I put him down at the beginning of the night, it's in the crib too.

He still wakes up and comes in the crib, but rarely asks to nurse since the weaning occured. But between 12-6 theres no nursring.

We're I you, I'd try it... not push it and if he's not ready, wait until maybe right after you move in and get settled... he may take to it fine since its an all new situation... maybe not, but it's worth a shot!

*smoothie thread OMG I forogt about that!!!!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks Mamas

Right now he's cutting molars, so our nights are hellish

Carolin, I just answered your Q's, althought I am a total broken record re: vitacost.
    Lyn

[QUOTE=danlynclark;426665]Thanks Mamas

/QUOTE]

Which may actually be the only reason you want to wean...when DJ cut those molars I was ready to get him his own futon and nurse him down and leave him and not about him rolling off of something....but then we get back to our "regular" three times a night and I think I can go forever again.
    I know the molar are BRUTAL. Stay focused. You and he have such a short nursing time left. And when it gets really bad, just thing "HTH would I console him if I DIDn't nurse him right now??

Way too lazy for formula

[QUOTE=DJ's Mom;427109]
    Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    Thanks Mamas

/QUOTE]

Which may actually be the only reason you want to wean...when DJ cut those molars I was ready to get him his own futon and nurse him down and leave him and not about him rolling off of something....but then we get back to our "regular" three times a night and I think I can go forever again.
    I know the molar are BRUTAL. Stay focused. You and he have such a short nursing time left. And when it gets really bad, just thing "HTH would I console him if I DIDn't nurse him right now??
    I just know now isn't the right time. My concern is, I am willing to tandem, but if I have to tandem night-nurse I maywean him completely?!?
    Lyn