Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another Fenugreek question

Default Another Fenugreek question

My milk supply has went down over the past few weeks since I started back to work full time.

I have tried fenugreek for the past week or two. I started out at 2 capsules 3 times a day. I did not smell the maple syrup so I increased it to 3 capsules 3 times a day for a 5 days and still nothing. I just increased it to 4 capsules 3 times a day on Sunday and I still can not smell it. Do I keep going or do I assume that it won't work for me? I haven't really noticed much of a difference in pumping. I have been doing both this and blessed thistle - 2 capsules 3 times a day. I found this info on kellymom.com. Has anyone else tried this but never smelled the smell??

Default Re: Another Fenugreek question

what brand of fenugreek are you using? I've heard that the one from GNC is remarkably ineffective. Also, some formulations have a smaller amount in each dose, so the actual dose a mother needs to take can vary by brand.

I've also heard that the age of the pills can affect it, too. A bottle that's been sitting on the shelf for a while can lose effectiveness. This seems to hold true for lots of herbs and medications.

Can you try changing to a different brand?

As with many things, not everything works for everyone, so if you decide fenugreek isn't working, there are other options.

Default Re: Another Fenugreek question

Hi,

Could you tell us more about your situation? What exactly is happening that leads you to believe that your supply is decreasing? Are you expressing your milk at work? There are a lot of working mamas on this board who have experienced a supply dip while pumping, and maybe some of the things that have worked for them will work for you, too.

Here's a link to some great info on increasing the amount of milk you are able to pump: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html .

Hang in there, mama!

Tiana