Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D for my bf lo?

Default Re: Vitamin D for my bf lo?

Sunlight and cod liver oil would be the only ways I would be comfortable with supplementing Vit D for myself or LO. Synthetic Vit D is highly toxic. Here is some info that may help you: http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...-oil-menu.html

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

We just do Vit D not the tri-solv one I think its recomeneded in the northern parts of the word.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

I was just looking into this myself. My ped rec'd the polyvisol also. I bought it, gave it to her once and she spit most of it out. I tasted it myself, and now I see why- it is nasty. After a little research, there are two other ways to get enough vit D in your lo- one is through your breastmilk, if you eat a bal'd diet and/or take a prenatal or multi vitamin supplement that is helping a lot. Also, they say 15 min's of sun exposure a day (fully clothed without a hat) is sufficient for their bodies to produce plenty of vit D. So unless you're up in Canada, or somewhere where sun exposure is almost impossible, or if you have a vit D deficiency yourself (unlikely), baby should be fine without it. I'm not going to try it again. I take a prenatal and she goes outside off and on, so I think that is sufficient. As much as I respect my ped, I always do my own research to follow up on my mommy instincts.

Unless you live near the equator or are outside during the sunniest part of the day with baby, it's likely neither of you is getting enough vitamin D during the winter months. Vitamin D is VERY important to the proper development of bones and teeth. It is also necessary for the development and maintenance of the nervous system's myelin sheaths (the breakdown of which is the prime suspect regarding the cause of MS)

Clare's Mum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

We give Vitamin D to our LO. We live in Canada and it is cold here in the winter(-12 C) today plus the windchill. So we don't always get outside. Vitamin D is very important for the healthy growth and development of babies. Yes it does tast bad but I make sure to nurse her right after I give her the Vitamin D. I spoke to my doctor about this it he highly recommended it.

We live in Michigan. Our peds never even brought it up. That suggests to me that it isn't a HUGE problem.

You're more at risk for Vit D deficiency if you are a dark-skinned person. Paler-skinned people are much less likely to have a problem, since their distant ancestors (think Sweden) have adapted to the lack of sunlight. Just my 2 cents.

It's not really going to hurt your LO to give them vitamins, but some babies have tummy upset from taking additional vitamins, and some babies really have a hard time just being given the vitamins.

Totally your choice about whether to give them. Do your research, and make up your own mind based upon the facts.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by Clare's Mum View Post
    We give Vitamin D to our LO. We live in Canada and it is cold here in the winter(-12 C) today plus the windchill. So we don't always get outside. Vitamin D is very important for the healthy growth and development of babies. Yes it does tast bad but I make sure to nurse her right after I give her the Vitamin D. I spoke to my doctor about this it he highly recommended it.
    Studies have also shown vit D to prevent many types of cancer, hence, the big push by doctors of late. My problem is that I have to choose the lesser of two evils: sun exposure (which for me isn't so good-I SCORCH after just ten minutes, if not fewer) or potentially other types of cancer. Hmmmmm...

Plus my ds seems to actually like the drops. He doesn't turn away or anything. Weird, huh? Go figure!

We live in the very northern tip of Maine and I don't want to subject my ds to the extreme cold to get a little sunlight that may harm him in the skin cancer department. (To be completely honest, I'm not too crazy about being out in the elements either!)
    Last edited by mommamags; January 30th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I would encourage you all to look into supplementing with cod liver oil rather than synthetic Vit D.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

For all of you complaining that your lo doesn't like the taste of the multi vits.. I live on the east coast and its winter here and definately not enough sun. I my exclusively breastfed infant JUST d... Its tasteless and colorless and doesn't stain anything and made for breastfed infants. My brother who also lives in this part of the us and leads a very healthy life had his vit d level checked just to see.. and he was at such a low level that it was similar to the level of someone with rickets.. he is only 30 years old, activ and healthy. There just isn;t enough sunlight this time of year. He is a pediatric PA and he recommends this VIT d.. and this is what I give my LO. I think its only available online though. I haven;t seen it in any health food stores around here.
    http://sunlightvitamins.com/

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

We started giving Thomas Poly-Vi-Sol around 2 months or so, usually in his morning bottle. It does smell bad, and it stains if it gets on clothes, so if you use it, be careful. We've never had a problem.