Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vitamin D for my bf lo?

Default Re: Vitamin D for my bf lo?

Like Taramoon13, I recommend D-drops in 400 UI's. It is literally one drop of tasteless oil - I put it on my nipple before the first BF of the day. But, if you live somewhere with enough sun and not too cold, go for the sun!

My pediatrician also told us to use Trivisol. I believe it;s another pharmaceutical company push I put it in her formula if she's supplementing but if not i don't worry about it. it is expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod's Mom View Post
    Hi all,
    My pediatrician said that Vit. D is not passed on to my son through my bm and to give him Poly-Vi-Sol V D supplement.
    Just wondering if others have been told the same thing? My lo does not like it at all, I don't blame him either, it smells pretty gross.
    Thanks!
    Our family doc told us the following: If mom gets adequate sun exposure (at least 20 minutes a day), baby doesn't need any sort of supplement. But if you live in an area that doesn't get much sun, especially in the winter (think Pac Nor'west), then supplements are VERY strongly recommended. Our part of Colorado is pretty sunny so we decided to go without.

~~ Meri
    Truth never dies but it leads a wretched life.

Here is a variety of information regarding vitamin D, rickets, and breastfeeding.

Vitamin D Exclusively breastfed healthy, full-term infants from birth to six months who have adequate exposure to sunlight are not at risk for developing vitamin D deficiency or rickets. Rickets occurs because of a deficiency in sunlight exposure, not because of a deficiency in human milk.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

Vitamin D deficiency occurs because of too little sunlight exposure, not because of a deficiency in human milk. Healthy full-term infants who are exclusively breastfed from birth to six months and who have adequate exposure to sunlight are not at risk for developing vitamin D deficiency or rickets. In addition, unless their mothers were vitamin D deficient during pregnancy, healthy, full-term infants are born with a supply of vitamin D that will last for two months in the absence of sun exposure. 13 In the presence of adequate sun exposure, fetal stores will last longer and can be augmented. Vitamin D produced via sun exposure, but not immediately needed, can be stored for later use.
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep03p75.html

There is no global consensus on how to prevent vitamin D deficiency or on how to screen for its presence among nurslings or their mothers.36, 37 In some countries, health agencies recommend supplementing all breastfed infants (universal supplementation), such as the AAP in the United States (19–71° N), the Ministry of Social Welfare (Socialstyrelsen-SOS) in Sweden (55–69° N), and the Canadian Paediatric Society in Canada (42–83° N).1, 38, 39 In other countries, health agencies recommend supplementing at-risk infants only (conditional supplementation), such as the Department of Health in the United Kingdom (50–61° N) and the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) in Australia (11–44° S).40, 41 The Ministry of Health in New Zealand (33–53° S) recommends supplements only in the case of a proven vitamin D deficiency.

Research has demonstrated that children are able to store several months worth of vitamin D when they are exposed to only a few hours of summer sunlight.8, 18, 48 Research has also shown that exclusively breastfed Caucasian infants under six months of age (39° N; Cincinnati, Ohio, US) maintain adequate vitamin D status when exposed to sunlight for 30 minutes per week (wearing a diaper only) or two hours per week (fully clothed without a hat).18 The sunlight exposure needed by darkly pigmented infants has not been adequately researched.

Here is a link to the AAP policy on vitamin D supplementation:
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;111/4/908
    Infants who are breastfed but do not receive supplemental vitamin D or adequate sunlight exposure are at increased risk of developing vitamin D deficiency or rickets.1–3,12,13 Human milk typically contains a vitamin D concentration of 25 IU/L or less.14–16 Thus, the recommended adequate intake of vitamin D cannot be met with human milk as the sole source of vitamin D for the breastfeeding infant. Although there is evidence that limited sunlight exposure prevents rickets in many breastfed infants,17,18 in light of growing concerns about sunlight and skin cancer and the various factors that negatively affect sunlight exposure, it seems prudent to recommend that all breastfed infants be given supplemental vitamin D. Supplementation should begin within the first 2 months of life. As noted above, it is very difficult to determine what is adequate sunlight exposure for an individual breastfed infant. Additional research is suggested to more fully understand the factors underlying the development of vitamin D deficiency and rickets in some breastfed infants.
    What the above states is while it may not be neccessary for every infant, the AAP recommends prophylactic (preventative) vitamin D supplementation for every infant.

If you are in doubt as to whether vitamin D supplements are needed and prefer not to give supplements "just in case" -- getting a blood test to determine the vitamin D status of you or your child is always an option.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html (non-LLL resource)

There is LOTS of information in the links I included above. If you need help filtering through it all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by bowser625 View Post
    Our pediatrician recommended the Poly-Vi-Sol drops as well since she turned 4 months. Since she hasn't been feeling 100% lately (cold and teething) we just gave her the first dose last night. She spit 90% of it out! It smelled TERRIBLE and I bet it tastes GROSS! I'll try giving it to her a few more days but if she keeps refusing it, I'll have to come up with something else....
    My DD spits about half of it out too. I usually give it to her right before a bath, that way she is naked and if it gets on her, I can wash it right off! That smell lingers....ugh! My DH and I actually tasted it and it isn't too bad at first but leaves a horrible aftertaste. I only bathe her every other day, but I figure every other day is better than not at all!
    since day 1 (Sept '07) !!! so Daddy can feed Mia while I'm at work! because we both love it!

I my Husband and Daughter!!!!