Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D for my bf lo?

Question Vitamin D for my bf lo?

Hi all,
    My pediatrician said that Vit. D is not passed on to my son through my bm and to give him Poly-Vi-Sol V D supplement.
    Just wondering if others have been told the same thing? My lo does not like it at all, I don't blame him either, it smells pretty gross.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Vitamin D for my bf lo?

I've seen multiple posts on this lately. It must be a new "thing" for docs to prescribe...Our pedi gave me an Rx for DD2 a few weeks ago and I never filled it. DD1 has been just fine without and I'm certain DD2 will be as well. Vit D is made naturally by our bodies.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Hi, Really none at all is passed wow?! I thought if they got enough sunlight each day that was fine. I try to get my lo in the sun everyday for atleast 10 minutes. If its cold I try to just use the sun from the window etc.. I better check this out more.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

We give the AC&D drops. Vit D comes from things we eat and sun exposure. Since his diet is mostly bm and we hardly get out in the sun right now b/c it's so friggin' cold, the drops supplement. We figure it can't hurt and might help. There is a wealth of info in the LLL answer pages:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBvitamins.html

And you can decide.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Our pediatrician recommended the Poly-Vi-Sol drops as well since she turned 4 months. Since she hasn't been feeling 100% lately (cold and teething) we just gave her the first dose last night. She spit 90% of it out! It smelled TERRIBLE and I bet it tastes GROSS! I'll try giving it to her a few more days but if she keeps refusing it, I'll have to come up with something else....
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

I thought Poly-Vi-Sol was only for premmies c/s they miss it from the latest weeks.... anyways my dd is been taking it since birth... it taste pretty bad so I mix it with a bit of breastmilk so that the flavor wont be so strong... that was the advise from the neonathologist at the hospital... her pediatrician still prescribe it for her.

You might like to read this article, and talk it over with the doc. http://www.llli.org/Release/vitamind.html

quote: Exclusively breastfed healthy, full-term infants from birth to six months who have adequate exposure to sunlight are not at risk for developing vitamin D deficiency or rickets. Rickets occurs because of a deficiency in sunlight exposure, not because of a deficiency in human milk.

I've tasted them when they were prescribed to my kids, they were nasty. We just made sure they got a few minutes of sunlight per day, much less invasive.

there's a company called ddrops that makes one for babies out of canada. if you live somewhere that's not sunny year round & don't want to have to give your baby all of the other unnecessary vitamins in tri-vi-sol they are a good option, although the shipping takes a while.

the tri-vi-sol taste nasty...and leaves an aftertaste...

i'm not sure they really need it but figure it can't hurt?

i take vitamins too so it seems reasonable for the baby

anyone know of a good reason NOT to give vitamins? i was wondering about dyes or preservatives, etc.

that was prescribed for my 3mo too