Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole milk or Formula?

Default Whole milk or Formula?

My goal at the beginning was to bf at least until 12 months. Well, we made it. The problem now is weaning. And I don't mean total weaning-- I'm happy to continue nursing as long as DS wants, but I don't want nursing to be his main source of nutrition after 18 months.

I have a night class until late on Tuesday nights and Thursday nights this semester. I will be gone until 10 those nights, and I don't want my lo to have to wait up for me. So, I've been trying to introduce whole milk to replace his nighttime feeding. The problem is, he doesn't want anything to do with whole milk. He's tried it a couple of times, but after a few sips, he pushes the cup away. I offer him a sippy cup with water, though, and he takes that quite willingly.

My question is, what to have DH give DS if he won't take whole milk? I don't really want to go back to pumping after 6 months of not pumping. Is formula the next-best thing? What if he doesn't take that, either?

Right now, he typically is ready to go to sleep around 9 pm. I could try to push his bedtime forward a bit, but I've tried that in the past and it hasn't really worked out so well. Sometimes he doesn't go to sleep until 9:30 or later, but I don't really want to encourage that.

What fun.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: Whole milk or Formula?

He may take the milk from someone other than you better. It took a little while for DS to take whole milk, but now he does fine with it. Like anything else, (think peas) you just keep trying and either they hate it forever (sorry) or they take to it....I am still working on peas
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Do you have any milk saved that you could mix with whole milk? This might help him adjust to the taste of it.
    If he's not ever taken formula before, and he's not liking whole milk, I could see him refusing to take formula either.
    How long will you guys be apart when you go to school? If he's eating a decent amount, and nursing ok you might not have to worry so much about how much milk he's taking in while your away. This is not a LLL link, but it compares the fat and calories in human, cow milk and formula.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...kcalories.html
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

First of all, Love your's son's name

I have had to supplement due to some supply issues with pumping. At first the guilt was horrible and then I realized he is still getting 95% of his nutrition from me and now with him eating food and nursing I know what is going into his body. I needed to stop stressing and do what I had to do to feed my baby. Now, ds still gets 2-4 ozs of formula on some days, we use the formula for older babies. We are going to start transitioning over to milk soon. I am planning on adding a little to bm and see how it goes. He won't take a bottle from me either but will gladly either take it from someone else or after some struggle if really needed he will take it and hold it himself.

So my point, don't stress more than needed and try and mix if you can or try the formula, but have someone else take care of it. Good Luck!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Interesting timing on your post. I just called our ped re: my situation. My dd2 is just over 11 months and I now need one more bottle for her dc needs - I just can't quite pump enough. Since her 9 month blood test was fine, ped said to go ahead and supplement with cow's milk and don't even worry about formula. I think this is what we are going to do. Cow's milk in a sippy cup in addition to her normal bottles of EBM.

Oh thanks amyped that reminds me- I will be doing the same cow's milk in a cup and bm in a bottle
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

and as long as toddler is nurseing 3-4 times a day they realy don't need extra milk

heres a good kelly mom link
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

from that link
    Many nursing moms are told that they must introduce cow's milk at a year. Your nursing toddler is already getting the best milk he can get - mother's milk! Breastmilk has a higher fat content than whole cow's milk (needed for baby's brain growth), and all the nutrients of human milk are significantly more bioavailable than those of cow's milk because it is species specific (not to mention all the components of mother's milk that are not present in cow's milk).

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    and as long as toddler is nurseing 3-4 times a day they realy don't need extra milk
    Problem is at dc. My lo nurses exclusively (no bottles) when we are together - no problems. But, when at dc, she seems to want more and I don't wish to deny her.

if you want to add cows milk thats fine too.. not saying that it isn't....

My solution, with both of my boys . ..

Get DH to be in charge of bedtime!

What I do is make sure the toddlers get a good dinner, including a good nursing in, well before bedtime. They play and then DH puts them to sleep. Colton usually goes to sleep around 8:30PM. When I'm ready to go to bed, I go join them. Colton usually wants to nurse then, which is around 11PM, and then he's good until around 2-3-4 AM (I get up at 5AM).

I wouldn't worry about trying to pump, or using formula, or even pushing the issue with cow's milk. But mixing some breastmilk in with some cow's milk might help.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!