Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very Little Milk since I started Pumping - Help

Default Very Little Milk since I started Pumping - Help

I was able to express 3 ounces from each side while pumping, now I am down to 1 ounce each side. Why is that?

Pumping increased when I became sick 6 days ago with strep, sinus infection, and ear infection all with a fever as high as 102.1 (fever lasted aprox. 3 days). I was put on amox and have been taking Ibprofen with that. I am barely getting better, still stuffy and coughing.

My LO has rejected the breast as of 3 days ago. I have not been able to get her to stay latched on. She keeps spitting me out. I think the bottle is now her preference . So I have been pumping every 3 hours to keep up with my LO's demands. I try to go longer at night. Now my milk supply seems to be dimenishing! HELP!

I would like to try and avoid any other oral supplements if possible, like Mother's Milk. Any suggestions on how to get my supply back to normal naturally?
    Suzie

Default Re: Very Little Milk since I started Pumping - Help

LOTS of water. I drink 60 oz/day plus other fluids. It seems like a lot, but I have a big 30oz cup from the hospital that I fill once in the morning and once at lunch. It's much easier for me than to fill a 12oz cup 5x's since it's readily available.

I also eat oatmeal everyday. This helps me a ton!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Like PP said oatmeal and water are great! Also, if you can pump at night between 2-3am when your prolactin levels are highest (milk hormone). I know sounds crazy but I get atleast 7 ounces at that time every time.

Could this have anything to do with me being sick and on meds?

Hi,

Could this have anything to do with me being sick and on meds?
    It certainly could. Many mothers find that they experience a dip in milk supply during and shortly after an illness. Decongestants can also decrease milk supply. Fortunately, this decrease is almost always temporary. The important thing at this point is going to be to get your baby back to the breast. Pumping is helpful, but babies are much more efficient at removing milk from the breasts than even the best pumps are. What was your original reason for pumping? Were you told to "pump and dump" due to the medications you were taking?

Many mothers find that taking a "nursing vacation" can help--take a few days at home and do little else but relax and enjoy your baby. Give lots of skin to skin contact--wear baby in a sling, take a warm bath together, bring baby to bed with you to snuggle and rest. This is often a very effective way to get a baby nursing again.

I hope that helps. Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Tiana

My supply has always been great, (5-10 oz per pump) but i got sick a couple of weeks after my section, had a fever of 103 for 3 days, during thoes three days, my supply dropped DRASTICLY! i was down to 2-3 oz per pump. After my fever i was put on amox. for 5 days, it improved slowly day by day.. and once my antibiotics were donemy supply was back up.

One thing may just be that if you dont "feel" like pumping, because you feel awful, you cant relax enough to let your milk flow.

I thought that also, about not being relaxed enough. I am working on that since I have started feeling better.

I am going to try more one/one exclusive time with my LO and see if I can get her back on my breast. I really enjoyed being her source of nourishment and now that I'm rejected I feel like I have done something wrong as I wasn't ready to stop.

I will keep you posted. I will increase my water, try the oatmeal (never heard of that) and see if I can get her back on my breast.

Thanks!