Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Planning WAY Ahead

Default Planning WAY Ahead

Ok, so I know I am totally jumping the gun here, but it is stressing me out just thinking about it! DH and I are planning on going on a cruise in May (4 nights) to celebrate his graduation. I am planning to at least partially wean when ds turns a year in April. At first I thought we would go on a cruise in July or so and I would have more time. but as it stands, ds will be just shy of 13 months! I don't want weaning to be stressful for him or me. I do plan to gently do mother led weaning, but super gently adn I am not opposed to keeping a couple of feedings a day (1-2, 3 max!) but how will this work with me going away? I don't plan to bf for much longer after that, but wanted to give him at least a few months more if I could . . . Will I have to wean him completely before I go? or would it work for me to just pumo 2X a day while I am gone? I really dont want to pump all day every day I am gone, but a couple of times is okay. I know I am rambling, sorry! Thanks for your help ladies! I don't have any friends who have done extended bf, so no one else to ask. thanks!

Default Re: Planning WAY Ahead

I don't have any personal experience with this. But I have a friend who just went on a cruise over Christmas, and she pumped every two hours while she was away from her 7-month-old. Yes, a 7-month-old. So, it can be done. With a 13-month-old, you prolly wouldn't have to pump every 2 hours, maybe just every 4-5.

IMHO, I think that as long as you can produce even just one or two 5-6 oz. feedings a day while you're gone, it may take a couple of days of constant nursing once you get back to bring your supply back up, but that may be easier for you than pumping constantly while you're trying to enjoy a cruise.

Good luck!
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia Lee View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with this. But I have a friend who just went on a cruise over Christmas, and she pumped every two hours while she was away from her 7-month-old. Yes, a 7-month-old. So, it can be done. With a 13-month-old, you prolly wouldn't have to pump every 2 hours, maybe just every 4-5.

IMHO, I think that as long as you can produce even just one or two 5-6 oz. feedings a day while you're gone, it may take a couple of days of constant nursing once you get back to bring your supply back up, but that may be easier for you than pumping constantly while you're trying to enjoy a cruise.

Good luck!
    Thanks . . .a few issues I have.
    One, I really do not want to pump alot on the cruise 2-3 times max maybe?
    two- I dont want to partially wean before I go and then have to nurse alot to get my supply back up. I really don't want to go backwards, IYKWIM?

My daughter is just over a year. If we were going away I would only pump as many times as she nurses a day, maybe only at those times.
    She nurses once when she wakes up, once when I get home from work and once before bedtime. Any more pumping than that and I think your supply would increase when you really want to be maintaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Danismommy07 View Post
    My daughter is just over a year. If we were going away I would only pump as many times as she nurses a day, maybe only at those times.
    She nurses once when she wakes up, once when I get home from work and once before bedtime. Any more pumping than that and I think your supply would increase when you really want to be maintaining.
    Thanks, that makes me feel better . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Danismommy07 View Post
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!