Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice about starting a "pumping policy"

Default Advice about starting a "pumping policy"

I teach at a private school and there is currently to policy regarding allowing teachers w/ infants time to pump and/or nurse. I am pregnant with my second baby (due in the summer) and would like to continue pumping and nursing in the fall when I go back to teaching. I had some conflict with my principal about pumping and nursing during the school year with my first baby. I would like some advice about how to approach my boss this time around. Also, I am interested to finding other company policies (from anywhere) about pumping and nursing. If there are any school teachers that could offer advice that would also be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Advice about starting a "pumping policy"

i didn't ask if i COULD, but rather asked if this time or that time would be better for the program. (i gave two times that worked for me) there have been times i have felt someone wants to say something to me, but nobody really has said much. i have got the occassional "how long are you going to do this?" but whatever! it's worth the here and there gripe from anyone. just stand tall and proud!

What state do you live in? Many states now have legistlation that protects your right to pump at work. See LLL info here.

I just finished studet teaching while pumping. I pumped once a day, during my only prep period - in a closet/office between two classrooms. It became a joke among the teachers that had prep the same hour I did - that I was always locking myself in the closet. I think the first thing would be to figure out if you are legally protected. How is your principal now? Is it the same person?

I successfully pumped at work ( I am a teacher) from 5 months until 1 year. Sometimes I pumped when I first got to work, on lunch and then my afternoon prep. I tried to get 3 pumping sessions in to maintain my supply. It was annoying sometimes, but I am so glad I did it...

I also used the back room in the nurses office! She cleaned it for me everyday!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

I think maybe I am lucky that I work for the government sometimes. The facility that I work in has 2 nursing mothers rooms and a nursing mothers program to offer support. The building I work in is secure and has guards who do random bag searches but are not allowed to check breast pump bags (I'm guessing because of hygiene reasons.)

Sometimes it's funny the reaction I get when I inform some of the male guards that I my bag is a breast pump. Most of them are okay, but some of them look shocked and appalled. One of the female guards one time said, "Hey, I have the same pump!"
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention the nurse! Our school nurse offered me a room if my closet didn't work out. Does your school have a nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    What state do you live in? Many states now have legistlation that protects your right to pump at work. See LLL info here.

How is your principal now? Is it the same person?
    Yes, it is the same person. We will be discussing my choices for next year very soon - and no, we don't have a nurse. I pumped last year in an empty room adjoining my classroom. We have to eat lunch with our class everyday and our prep times are different everyday. sometimes last year I had to leave the classroom to pump while the children were in the room working - not ideal. Hoping to work out something better for this year.

Also, we live in Mass. No meaningful legislation to help me.

I didn't ask my employer, but rather told them that this is something I would be doing, asked them to please work with me to find suitable times that would not be too much of a hassle with their scheduke.

A good friend of mine is a teacher and this was her routine: She tried for two sessions a day when she could pump. She asked to have her "free" period sometime in the mid morning (let's say about 10am) and then she took a later lunch period (at like 1) so that she could pump with about 3 hours in between and by the time three more hours passed it was time to go home.

I would suggest asking if you guys could work together to make this very important goal happen. And don't forget to remind them that breastfed babies are sick less often and you would miss less work by making these arrangements.

If worse comes to worst- and you can afford it- threaten to quit or go to the school board.

the school i work for is also private. i have no prep periods and leave my students in the room working with a coworker as well. i know how you feel. though my supervisors have never really given me a hard time. good luck!