Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: human milk fortifier

Default human milk fortifier

I had a 30 weeker recently (almost 2 weeks ago)

they are pressuring me to use HMF. I have refused so far, but they are coming at me everyday...I need more info.

thanks

Default Re: human milk fortifier

I do not know much about HMF, but i wanted to welcome you.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

thanks so much.

it just seems wrong to be working so hard pumping for my little guy to turn around and mix his milk with cows proteins anyway!

do they want it to replace your milk?
    I would think they would let that be up to you.
    Is baby nursing any at the breast yet?

I know sometimes they push the fortifier when baby isn't gaining weight well.

You could call your local leader for some more info.

Hi,

the information i have is very limited, as i never questioned it, but here is what i know.

I had a 33weeker. (one month ago) They also fortified her milk. She was put on 22 cal NeoSure. They explained to me that this was essential not only for her to gain weight and regulate her boddy temperature, but that it was also nessisary for her to help with brain and organ growth. at 3 weeks, she had gained enough weight that i was able to stop fortifying her milk.

Im sorry i dont know much more then that, but maybe you can try google?

This is something i foound that might be worth a read.
    http://patients.uptodate.com/topic.a...=neonatol/5139

Good Luck

thanks for sharing Melissa~MomOf2
    thats what I was thinking to if it was just used to boost weight gain for a few days that wouldn't be the end of the nursing world for mom or baby.

There is a Dr. Jack Newman hand-out on HMF's
    http://www.bflrc.com/newman/overheads/Prematures.htm

It seems like some babies do well with it, others don't tolerate it very well. I would talk to the doctors about why exactly they want to use it with your baby and what the risks and benefits are. Ask what happens if you start it, what happens if you refuse?

Sorry this isn't much info!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by indysteffanie View Post
    I had a 30 weeker recently (almost 2 weeks ago)

they are pressuring me to use HMF. I have refused so far, but they are coming at me everyday...I need more info.

thanks

Congratulations on your new little one. It sounds as if he must be doing well. And how lucky he is that you are providing him with his mother's own milk! Your little guy is also lucky that he has a mom who is acting as his advocate and wants good reasons before agreeing to some treatment...

I'm wondering whether the newborn intensive care unit (NICU) nurses, neonatologists or dietitians have explained to you why your baby may need his mom's milk with some type of fortification for awhile? The NICU staff are the ones who should provide you with info and answers to your questions (until you feel comfortable with their answers) for ANY treatment or intervention suggested/recommended for your baby. If they are not able to explain the reasons for a recommendation, one wonders why they are working in a NICU?!?

Mom's own milk is an incredible product -- just as breastfeeding is an incredible process! However, over the tens of thousands of years that Mother Nature has been developing breastfeeding and human milk for human babies, she didn't completely take into account the advances in care that would be made during the 2nd half of the 20th century for preterm babies. Amazingly, she did make it so most premies between 30 or 35 weeks could latch on and suckle briefly, even though most are not yet mature enough to transfer enough milk during breastfeeding -- they need more time and maturity to get to that place.

It's similar for mom's milk. Amazingly, Mother Nature did make preterm milk somewhat different and "specialized" from term milk for the first weeks. It's higher in a number of its disease-fighting properties and certain vitamins and minerals. But Mother Nature didn't count on needing "special" preterm milk for several weeks to months in order to compensate for the rapid growth that occurs in the weeks prior to full-term birth.

Fortifying human milk may be needed so baby can get more calories and/or certain vitamins/minerals in less volume of fluid. (Too high of volume can be overwhelming for premies.)

You could let the NICU staff know that you are a reasonable person by thanking them for recognizing you as having a major role in making this decision. You could tell them that you're not against -- or for -- fortification but you need a thorough understanding of the reasons for its recommendation, since your baby is depending on you to be his advocate.

All the best -- keep pumping that good disease-fighting milk for him and keep us posted on this progress.

My son was born at 30 weeks. He had my milk mixed with HMF. It's not actually formula. Just a little packet they add to your milk. He now eats directly from the breast after 3 long weeks of trying to get him to!! So hang in there...he will be able to do it. And congrats. I'd love to talk to you seeing as I was in this exact same boat 7 weeks ago!! My little guy just came home

Quote Originally Posted by piratetink824 View Post
    It's not actually formula. Just a little packet they add to your milk.
    Mine was an actual Premie formula they have called Neosure. they gave me the can to take home to keep suplementing her wtih.

They did have the little packets too, not sure what is actually in that though.