Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block Feeding - I think I am doing it wrong

@llli*dally Guest

Default Block Feeding - I think I am doing it wrong

x
    Last edited by @llli*dally; January 11th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.

Default Re: Block Feeding - I think I am doing it wrong

How old is your LO? The best advice I ever got was to stop looking at the clock. Let your LO nurse when he is hungry. Don't worry about the 3 hour time block.

You can introduce a pacifier depending on how old your LO is. My baby likes the avent paci. I would make absolute certain that he is finished eating before offering a paci. Mine only gets one at bedtime and if I need him to hold on a few minutes when he gets hungry. (Like in line at the grocery store)

@llli*dally Guest

x.
    Last edited by @llli*dally; January 11th, 2012 at 09:26 AM.

Blonka!

Am I understanding you correctly that you have an oversupply and he is only nursing twice in a three hour block?
    If you are still seeing problems from an oversupply, I would try to keep at it. This works for a lot of mom's to tame all that milk!
    Does he seem fussy or upset at nursing that second time? If not, I would let him go ahead and nurse again on the same side before offering the other. You may need to adjust the block time a little too, maybe you can try a 2 hour block and then gradually work your way up in time.

4-6 weeks is a growth spurt time for a lot of babies, and it's important to let him nurse as much as he desires. This will help your body adjust to the amount of milk that he needs, and will help to avoid supply problems down the road. Unrestricted access to nurse, even with no milk, is important!

Some babies do nurse very fast, the older they get the better they are at draining the breast quickly. I would hesitate to offer a pacifier yet, because you are still working on things. If you do offer one to him, make sure you still offer the breast a lot too!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

@llli*dally Guest

x

yeah there are going to be times when you have to be a little bit flexable with the 3 hour time limit don't stress about it too much!
    Are you pumping any between feeds ?

@llli*dally Guest

x