Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help!!

Default Please Help!!

Hello, I have posted a thread in another category. But this is where I need to post. My little girl is alost 4 weeks old and has been diagnosed with colic. I have been using Mylicon drops faithfully because she has been really gassy. The problem is that since yesterday she has bee spitting up after each feeding (looks like curdled milk) and is extremely irritable and fussy. Yesterday it lasted from 2pm to 9pm when I finally got her to sleep. I mean she was screaming from the top of her lungs!! She slept pretty good through the night she woke up at 2am to nurse then went right to sleep then again at 5:30am to nurse then went right to sleep? She has been up since 8:30am and has been really fussy and upset again?? I just got her to lay down after giving her some Motrin infant drops. Could this be reflux, colic, or an ear infection?? I live in Costa Rica and it is hard to communicate with the pedeatricians as I speak only a little spanish!! I am a new mother and I am so confused as to what direction to go?? PLEASE HELP!!! She just woke up screaming again??? HELP!!!

Ruby

Default Re: Please Help!!

It might definitely be reflux. Sounds exactly like what my newborn went through in the first few weeks. We got the pediatrician to prescribe Zantac and it helped her a lot. She outgrew it around 3-4 months of age. Some babies have reflux for up to 6 months until their little digestive tracts grow and mature.

Do you have a good pediatrician or medical care to access there in Costa Rica??

wishing you luck and sending good thoughts...I know how tough these first few weeks can be.

Thumbs up Re: Please Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJmama
    It might definitely be reflux. Sounds exactly like what my newborn went through in the first few weeks. We got the pediatrician to prescribe Zantac and it helped her a lot. She outgrew it around 3-4 months of age. Some babies have reflux for up to 6 months until their little digestive tracts grow and mature.

Do you have a good pediatrician or medical care to access there in Costa Rica??

wishing you luck and sending good thoughts...I know how tough these first few weeks can be.
    Thanks for the reply..........On zantac was your baby not in pain??? And is zantac in liquid form?

Quote Originally Posted by BLESSED MOMMY
    Thanks for the reply..........On zantac was your baby not in pain??? And is zantac in liquid form?
    Also, did your baby still spit up curdled milk on zantac?

Ruby

Hi there! If I understand you correctly, your wanting to know what other things you can do to make your baby better, and if it could be something other than colic. Please correct me if I am wrong.

First I sympathize, my son who is almost 10 months (geez, where did the time go?) cried and cried and cried and cried. Screamed I guess is more like it. At 4 weeks my doctor told me to give it some time, by 8 weeks he had blood in his stools. Food protien allergies. I am not telling you this to scare you, just wondering if you might want to try and elimination diet to see if things get better. Things did get better for me, then we ended up putting him on Zantac at about 8.5 months because we started solids and it wasn't going well...taking the solids away completely just was not an option. He likes to join us while we eat, and wants try what we have. He only gets a little bite of something every few days, but that is a whole different subject, you are not there yet. So he is on Zantac, and he still spits up curdled milk, but he isn't waking up screaming anymore.

I reccommend the elimination diet, as I am a firm believer that colic is allergen related, and she may not be tolerating something that you are eating. There is a whole section on this forum about allergies and breastfeeding. Please check it out.

I hope this helps a little, and hang in there. I know how difficult it is, but things eventually get better!