Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many calories?

Default How many calories?

How many calories does an EBF mother need each day in order to lose weight? I had cut my calories to 1500-1800 and had lost 5 pounds pretty quickly. However, I stopped losing weight, so I went to BabyFit.com for help. Their site says I need between 2300-2600 calories per day! This seems like a lot to me, but I've tried it for the past 3 days and I've gained back 1.5 pounds. The site said that I should expect to gain some weight at first, but then it should start to go down. I am skeptical about this high number of calories. Anyone else cut their calories, lose weight, and not lose their milk supply? Thanks!

Oh, I also am walking 2 miles per day, 5 times a week in addition to a 20 minute pilates video.

Default Re: How many calories?

i'm not sure exactly, but have you tried weight watchers? they have a plan that is specifically for nursing mothers. i have heard great thing about it.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: How many calories?

I think it depends on what makes up those calories. What types of foods are you eating?

Also, eating around the clock-perhaps 6 smaller meals-usually revs up the metabolism. Lots of protein, whole grains, veggies, some dairy...

Don't stop taking those vitamins!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!