Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Months of Hard Black Poop

Default 2 Months of Hard Black Poop

I'm hoping to find a mom who has gone through the same thing and knows how to solve the problem.

My little one has bowel movements that are way to big. It ends up ripping him when it comes out. It is like a rock. He screams in agony every time.

This is what I've tried:
    taking him off of cereal
    no bananas
    all of the p foods -- pears, peaches, and prunes --he especially loves pears
    adding water to his diet
    I nurse on demand
    tonight I tried a little olive oil, but I don't know if it worked yet

We went to a pediatric gastro. today and he was of no help. He made several inappropriate comments and wanted to put LO on a laxative for ONE YEAR. We have another appointment on Wednesday with another doctor. I'm hoping someone can help my poor baby!

Default Re: 2 Months of Hard Black Poop

Have you tried just allowing him to have BM for a week or so and see what happens???
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes, I've tried that. He doesn't go at all when I did that. Before I started solids he would go 15 days between bowel movements.

but when he did go, what was it like?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Were they hard then too? Or just infrequent? Its not uncommon for an exclusively breastfed infant to go a very long time between bowel movements.

Dr. Jay Gordon talks about poop:

Hard, pellet - like, presence of blood or mucous
    This is constipation in a breastfed baby and is so very rare that I cannot recall ever seeing it in a baby who is receiving breastmilk as a sole source of nutrition, as are most babies in the first six months. It could be related to a food allergy. Formula fed babies get constipated much more often and may even have harder bigger stools like older kids and adults. Getting these stools softer is a balancing act of great proportions.

Black stools often accompanied by constipation
    This is the result of iron supplementation. Iron fortified infant foods and infant vitamins can cause constipation. A healthy breastfed baby does not need iron supplementation. The iron in breastmilk is much more bioavailable than any other form.

I'm looking for more.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Before solids, when he would go, it would be the normal runny mess. I thought is might be the iron in the infant cereal, but he has been off of the infant cereal of two weeks now. The doctor today told me to put him back on the cereal.

Well, with poops like that (hard) I wouldn't put a solid near him for a while.

Going that many days (as you mentioned he was going before) isnt an issue as long as they're soft kwim?

JMO

Keep us updated.
    Last edited by Number3; January 28th, 2008 at 08:39 PM.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Is there another solid food you would be comfortable with that the doctor is as well? Are you giving him vitamins?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by nina&noah View Post

My little one has bowel movements that are way to big. It ends up ripping him when it comes out. It is like a rock. He screams in agony every time.

This is what I've tried:
    taking him off of cereal
    no bananas
    all of the p foods -- pears, peaches, and prunes --he especially loves pears
    adding water to his diet
    I nurse on demand
    tonight I tried a little olive oil, but I don't know if it worked yet

We went to a pediatric gastro. today and he was of no help. He made several inappropriate comments and wanted to put LO on a laxative for ONE YEAR. We have another appointment on Wednesday with another doctor. I'm hoping someone can help my poor baby!
    I would agree with the being off cereal for the time being. Something about it, maybe all the iron-fortification, constipated my ds badly. The rice or oatmeal doesn't have all the iron. They add it in the processing. Until ds has other sources of iron-rich foods, he probably needs some cereal. Being off of it for now shouldn't hurt.

How much prune had you given each day? My niece has to drink OUNCES of prune juice daily. My son has to drink an ounce when he hasn't gone for a day. He's prone to constipation.

What I would do is give two to three tablespoons of prune juice by bottle, mixed with either water or apple juice after each nursing session until I got the desired consistency of poop. Your son may need a day or two of doing this. I'd start with three tbs. per feeding for your son-it sounds like he needs some intervention. After you get the desired results, he may require a daily regimin of prune juice or whatever does the trick to keep him regular.

As for other solids, his main nutrition is still from bm. Solids, at this point, are like dessert and are in addition to-not instead of-nursing. He still associates satisfying his hunger with nursing. So, don't worry about him going hungry or being undernurished. He won't! If you still want to do solids right now while you're solving the current issue, you can. Just feed it to him after nursing.

Once he's regular and you want him to eat cereal again, you can continue the prune juice by bottle or mix it right in with the cereal.

Poor little guy! I'm so sorry he's so miserable. Keep us posted on what works and what doesn't.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Just to reiterate, babies can go for days with out pooping and it's not considered constipation. The texture of the poop (hard pellets) would constitute constipation but a soft poop, after say a week or so isnt constipation and doesnt really warrant any therapy.

links later GTG

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson