Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont know what to do

Red face Dont know what to do

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have to kids. My dd is two and the new member is my ds 5 wks old. I'm trying to breastfeed him; however, he's been a little lazy. everytime i give him the breast he doesnt want to wide open his mouth. what he does is that he put his mouth like he's going to eat sphagetties so when he sucks he gets half of my nipples and the pain i feel is unbereable. I even gets headaches. I dont know what to do. how do i make him to really open his mouth. My husband try to help me but my ds is stubborn and he even closed his mouth. what can i do i can barely touch my boobs. i cant even stand clothes touching them. oh forgot to mention i have big boobs. i'm ready to give up and just feed him formula. but my conscience doesnt let me cause i know how good is breastmilk for his health. but i dont know if he's getting enough milk. today i thought he had gases but i think he was hungry but if i give him breast beside getting them wrong he fall asleep and he takes forever. and because it hurts i cant stand having him in my breast no more than ten minutes. so i gave him a bottle of formula and he took 3oz and he finally slept for 2 1/2 hours.
    any advices are welcome.

Default Re: Dont know what to do

Can you call your local WIC office or hospital and ask to speak to a lactation consultant? They may have many different tricks to help your LO latch on better. Also have you tried using lanisoh lanolin on your nipples? It might help with the pain a bit. 's mama hang in there!

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Congratulations on your new little one. You are working very hard to get him to latch. I know it can be very difficult, I had 2 out of 4 who were difficult at first. It sounds like you might need to call your local LLL leader. She will be able to assess your latch and help you out.

Good luck

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Quote Originally Posted by Angi View Post
    Congratulations on your new little one. You are working very hard to get him to latch. I know it can be very difficult, I had 2 out of 4 who were difficult at first. It sounds like you might need to call your local LLL leader. She will be able to assess your latch and help you out.

Good luck
    I agree Latch issues are generally best dealt with on a person to person type assistance. Keep us updated.

You can look right below this post to my signature and find a link that will help you find a leader local to you

wanted to add in addition to calling a leader or IBCLC, that Jack Newman has quite a few helpful tutorial viedos on line... look them up and see if you can get a few tips there in the mean time.
    Last edited by Number3; January 28th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

keep trying

Quote Originally Posted by MeganBeth View Post
    Can you call your local WIC office or hospital and ask to speak to a lactation consultant? They may have many different tricks to help your LO latch on better. Also have you tried using lanisoh lanolin on your nipples? It might help with the pain a bit. 's mama hang in there!
    I agree too. You want this to be a pleasant experience Hang in there.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Lightbulb Re: Dont know what to do

Thanks everyone, i will try to contant a LC. Hope i can continue breastfeeding. but i think i'm giving up because yesterday i start feeding him formula. he sleeps better. you might say that this is my second one and why am i having problems. well my first one did not want my breast at all. at least my son try even though he does not latch on well. but i will keep you updated and lets see how everything turns out.

My baby latched like that too. I just needed to be persistent with her. I'd break the seal to unlatch her, put my finger on her chin so she opened up wider to get my finger, and then relatch her. It was never perfect.. she'd still shrink down a little into that spaghetti position, but I always relatched her a couple times at first. The problem went away as her head and mouth grew larger.. which happens quickly. I know that latching, stopping and relatching is very frustrating for BOTH of you. But for me, I needed to insist that she open wider-- but at the same time I couldn't be a perfectionist or she'd starve. Again, it cleared up once she got a little bigger. Nursing did hurt for at least the first month (can't say how long- it was over three years ago), but I made her stop if it was horrible. The nurse at the hospital told me it may hurt a LITTLE, but it shouldn't make your toes curl.. so that's sort of the gage I used when trying to decide whether to just let her nurse or stop and try again. I could call that my first experience with discipline with her. Discipline as in teaching - not as in she's being naughty and needs a time out. She grew to be very sensitive and was never the kind of kid to put any ol' thing in her mouth.

I'm sure a lactation consultant would help a ton if you can get one!

I had to open DS's mouth for him on occassion to get him over the "slurping" thing you described. I am sorry you are having issues...I hope the LC can help
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Quote Originally Posted by GailnJr. View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have to kids. My dd is two and the new member is my ds 5 wks old. I'm trying to breastfeed him; however, he's been a little lazy. everytime i give him the breast he doesnt want to wide open his mouth. what he does is that he put his mouth like he's going to eat sphagetties so when he sucks he gets half of my nipples and the pain i feel is unbereable. I even gets headaches. I dont know what to do. how do i make him to really open his mouth. My husband try to help me but my ds is stubborn and he even closed his mouth. what can i do i can barely touch my boobs. i cant even stand clothes touching them. oh forgot to mention i have big boobs. i'm ready to give up and just feed him formula. but my conscience doesnt let me cause i know how good is breastmilk for his health. but i dont know if he's getting enough milk. today i thought he had gases but i think he was hungry but if i give him breast beside getting them wrong he fall asleep and he takes forever. and because it hurts i cant stand having him in my breast no more than ten minutes. so i gave him a bottle of formula and he took 3oz and he finally slept for 2 1/2 hours.
    any advices are welcome.

Congratulations!!!! When helping him latch point your nipple upwards toward his nose and once he opens his mouth as wide as he can slide your nipple in from bottom to top, it is kinda hard to explain. Another thing is pull your son towards your breast not bring your breast towards him. Use lanolin every feeding and always wear breast pads to avoid clothing from rubbing against your nipple. Another thing to keep him from falling asleep take off all of his clothes except for his diaper if he gets to warm and cozy he will fall asleep. PUMP PUMP and PUMP some more if he is not feeding enough because if you do not your milk will decrease. Do not resort to formula so fast, this will only encourage you and him to give up on BF and BF is such a wonderful experience once you two get the hang of it. Definitely contact a lactation consultant they can teach you hands on what to do. Do not give up you can do it, it will not always be like this. Some people do not recommend nipple shields for feeding, but try them, whatever works to get you LO the breast milk he needs!