Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long will I keep making milk?

Unhappy How long will I keep making milk?

Hi, all. I didn't think I would be posting on this board anytime soon. I am preggo and have been BFing. After some complications, much crying, praying, research, and soul searching, I decided to wean my son all at once. It has been excruciatingly painful - physically and emotionally, but I know it is the best decision for me and my family. It was a week this morning since I stopped. I am no longer painfully engorged, but I still have plenty of milk. My son is 16 months old this week and we were nursing night and day. I am still making plenty of milk, feel fullness around the times we usually nurse, and leak (which I haven't done in months!) when he cries or naps or any time we would be usually nursing.
    My question is, how long will it take this to stop? It seems like it is still teasing me because I still really want to nurse my son, but I can't. (I appreciate your good intentions, but that is not up for debate.) I wish it would hurry up so I can move on and accept the way things are. I know that it will all be worth it when I am holding my healthy newborn . . .
    I've already tried cabbage. I've quit eating oatmeal. Any other suggestions?

Sorry this is so long. I guess it is a little bit of a vent, too. I know you guys will understand. Most of my friends and family think I am .

Thanks!

Default Re: How long will I keep making milk?

to you mama.

I wish I could offer a better answer to you, but I think that it varies from person to person. I had to wean my son quickly too and it took a couple of weeks before I stopped feeling full or having letdowns. I still have a little milk in there, but a very small amount. The only thing I had heard was to try cabbage leaves which you already have. Hopefully things will get better soon. Hang in there!

I continued nursing, but my supply decreased drastically around 20 weeks. That's probably not much help though .

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

There are things you can try to make yourself more comfortable during this time. You can still try cabbage leaves. Sage and peppermint are known to lower supply in nursing mothers. This article, while not a LLL article, has more good ideas on how to lower your milk supply after a sudden weaning. http://www.breastfeeding-basics.com/...pression.shtml
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I am not experienced in this but I am assuming if you get mastititis you may have to use antibiotics while pregnant which won't be good. So I will suggest at least hand-expressing a little to ease the engorgement.

Not trying to question your decision for the suddenness, but just because I don't know the details - could you do a small amount of pumping/hand expressing to ease the discomfort and give a more gradual transition? And maybe feed it to your son in a sippy cup? Or is it that you need to avoid the stimulation associated with nursing altogether? This must be very hard for you...

I don't have any advice, but I know how difficult and emotional weaning can be. : I hope you can find the strength to not beat yourself up about it.

Thank you all for the advice, suggestions, and support. Peppermint is good for nausea, too. Maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone. I guess my first post wasn't completely clear. I decided to stop nursing due to some complications with my pregnancy. I don't think that BFing caused the problem, and I doubt that it has anything to do with it at all . . . but the possibility that it might make it worse is a risk I couldn't take. How could I live with myself if something happened and I always wondered "what if?" Like I said, it was a very difficult and deeply personal decision to make.
    I am no longer engorged and I don't have mastitits. Thankfully, I have avoided that so far. I am afraid to express or pump at all for the same reasons I am afraid to BF. Thankfully this has been much harder on me than it has my DS.
    The picture in my avatar is a picture of him nursing early one morning last month . . . he had the sweetest smile on his face. I think it is the only one I have of him nursing. I will treasure it forever.
    Thanks, again, ladies. I knew I would find what I was looking for here!