Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help Please!

Default Help Please!

Hi, my little miracle baby is going on 4 weeks now. ( We thought it was not possible for me to get pregnant! ) She was born on 6-05-06. Recently she has been spitting up after feedings and will be really fussy? I stayed up with her for 6 hours last night with her waking up after about 5 minutes of sleeping to a scream! This morning I have feed her and she just keeps spitting up what looks like curdled milk??? I have her sitting up as I have been on all kinds of websites that suggest that it may be reflux? She is calm one minute then turns red jerks her head back and just screams the next? last night I could not get her to calm down easily? Today, she is calm one minute then just starts crying?. Nothing is seeming to calm her? Also, I have been breastfeeding her and have been so confused as if my diet could be causing this? I am really desperate and can't stand my baby crying all the time in pain!!! Any suggestions?? PLEASE HELP!!

TIRED AND CONFUSED!

Default Re: Help Please!

Hi- congratulations! My son has reflux. One thing you can do is to start a food diary of what you are eating to see if there is a pattern of fussiness after certain foods. (I have to restrict my dairy and caffeine, and absolutely NO spicy foods!) Also sitting her up for 30 minutes after she eats can be helpful.

Jennifer

Sorry to hear that your baby (any you) are having a rough time. If you suspect that your diet may be to blame I would start eliminating some of the common culprits- first is usually dairy- and see if it makes any difference. Of course, it takes a few days to see results. You could also try over the counter stuff to help baby tummies, (gripe water, infant mylicon)- though I don't have any personal experience with those products, other people may have advice to offer. If you really feel that your baby is miserable, I would call your doctor.

Welcome to the reflux club Our DS was diagnosed at 6wks but was showing signs much earlier (he was wrongly diagnosed at 3 wks with colic). He is now doing very well on Zantac (prescription) and Mylanta Supreme (OTC). You could try some mylanta after feeding and see if that helps at all. We give 1/4 tsp to our 17lb, 3 mo old. If not you may need to consult your ped. I've done a lot of reading on Zantac and it appears to be very safe for infants.

Good luck!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Hi, thanks for the replies! I have been told that my baby has colic and that I was feeding her to often from birth. My problem is that I live in Costa Rica and the pediatricians are hard to communicate with as I speak just a little spanish. I know that my lttle girl has done okay up until yesterday......she was fussy and crying on and off all day yesterday and got worse around 2pm until 9pm when i finally got her to go to sleep..then she slept until 2am?? So, since yesterday she has been spitting up almost right after nursing like i said it looks like curdled milk?? It seems to hurt her when she burps? My sister told me that her baby cried for 2 days and did not know why? He had an ear infection?? Would this cause my baby to spit up all of a sudden? She is not pulling at her ears?? I have noticed that she has boogers in her nose and her little voice sounds horsed?? Is it really reflux?? I am so confused!! It is killing me trying to soothe her and nothing is making her happy. Thank god she fell asleep in my arms right now long enough for me to type this!! I just gave her some Motrin infant drops...........about 30 minutes ago, maybe that has helped her??

Ruby

reflux can cause a stuffy nose.. it did with my ds

About how often does your baby nurse in 24 hours?

Do you hear lots of swallowing? Is there any gulping?

Do you feel like you have a lot of milk?

How many wet and poopie diapers does your baby have in 24 hours?

I nurse Destiny 8-10 times a day. About every 2-3 hours. I do hear alot of air when she nurses and she does gulp!! She has a wet diaper after every feeding and poopie about 2-3 times a day. My breast feel normal now until the milk comes down. How would i know if i had alot of milk? I am not sure? Right now Destiny has a stuffy nose and a horsed throat? No fever? Her temp is 96.6 with an ear thermometer. Should i be giving her something for pain?? I have given her Motrin infant drops earlier which is a pain reliever and fever reducer??? Should i continue to feed her longer after she spits up?

Thanks,

Ruby

My dd got very hoarse from reflux, too. If it is reflux, the stomach acids are coming up and irritating her larynx. Technically, it's called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux. Here's a couple of great websites with a list of symptoms that you can refer to, then tell your ped what you've observed.

http://www.infantrefluxdisease.com/i...x_symptoms.php
    http://www.entnet.org/KidsENT/LPR.cfm

We've had dd on Zantac for 5 weeks now, and she's doing SO much better. Her weight has gotten more on track, she nurses for what seems like days at a time and can now sleep in her crib or in bed rather than in a car seat or bouncer.

By the way, be observant if your ped prescribes a motility agent. Our dd had a freakishly bad reaction to it.

Good luck!